GO!

Confused on rather or not to spay my Bullmastiff

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Buddess- Lachic

My lovable- demeanor- outweighs my- size.

Barked: Wed Oct 1, '08 6:16am PST 
My baby Buddess is scheduled to be spayed tomorrow morning. This whole thing has gotten me so confused I haven't been able to sleep. She's already 7 months old. I'm told that it's better for her health and although I didn't buy her with the anticipation of breeding her, I'm really not sure if I may decide to down the road. Plz, I need some advice.
[notify]
Tucker James

Wanna play?

Barked: Wed Oct 1, '08 8:13am PST 
Don't feel bad, it's your responsibility as a pet owner.

In Females, spaying decreases the incidence of breast cancer (the rate goes down to almost zero if the spaying is done before the first heat cycle!). It eliminates the chance of developing a serious and potentially fatal infection of the uterus experienced by many mature unspayed animals (pyometra). Spay surgery also eliminates the heat cycle and associated mood swings and undesirable behaviors, messy spotting (in dogs) and the attraction of all available males to your yard.

Also, leave breeding to the professionals who are willing to devote their lives to it. The pet population is already way too big, so don't needlessly add to it!

Edited by author Wed Oct 1, '08 8:16am PST

[notify]
LOLA

Lola - I think I'm a- lap dog!

Barked: Wed Oct 1, '08 2:48pm PST 
Thx for both the original question and the response from Tucker. We were unable to neuter our last dog due to his other health problems and we were/are somewhat undecided about whether or not to have Lola spayed, even though we have no intention of breeding her. Thanks for such a responsible perspective!
[notify]

Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Wed Oct 1, '08 7:16pm PST 
Man, Tucker's got it down!

I've always jokingly said anybody who wants to keep their females intact (without the intention of showing and breeding them) needs to sit in on an emergency pyometra spay. It is absolutely the most horrifying thing on the face of this planet, and man do they feel like crap!

The risk of mammary cancer is literally null when spayed, but the longer left intact the higher the risk.

Puppies are for the professionals! First and foremost, Bullmastiffs usually have to undergo a c-section. (Ka-ching!) And then, can you imagine a litter of 14? Would you be able to get up every 2 hours round the clock to feed the stragglers? What about feeding all of them every half an hour if Mom rejects them or doesn't produce milk? Could you sucessfully place 14 puppies in homes that you were absolutely positive were the best homes avaliable for them? When that puppy is 4 years old and the owners no longer want it, are you prepared to take back in what you created? Allof these need to be considered and seriously pondered before thinking of breeding.

Here are even more things to think about!

In a nutshell a speutered Bullmastiff will live a longer, healthier and more mentally balanced life without all of those icky hormones running through them! Without a doubt have it done! In the end, onen way or another, eventually it is going to be done. However, you as the owner need to decide if it will be on your own terms (and with a healthy pet) or on the ticking time bomb "the uterus'" terms (with a very sick pet). Having your female pet spayed is single handedly the most important thing you can do for her as an owner!

Good luck during your spay tomorrow, Buddah! I hope you get 'er done! Let us know how you're doing afterwards, okay? It's no big deal really! The same time I had my spay done I had my stomach taked, too! It ain't no thing! They couldn't bring me down!

P.S. In the future feel free to post in the Bodacious Bullmastiffs group! That's where all the action's at! Anybody who isn't a member and would like an invite, please p-mail me so I can send you one!

Edited by author Wed Oct 1, '08 7:32pm PST

[notify]
Buddess- Lachic

Barked: Wed Oct 1, '08 9:13pm PST 
Buddess will be there bright and early. The SPCA here charges a mere $55 and $17 for pain. I've heard conflicting stories about using the SPCA vs. her personal vet who only charges $120. I went with the SPCA. Pray for me and Buddess, I will keep you updated on her recovery. I want so badly to attend the Barktober Fest being held this weekend in Fort Worth. I'm not sure if Buddess will be up to it.
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 7:59am PST 
Good luck, Buddess! cheer

We're sure you'll come through with flying colors! way to go

We'll be checking in to make sure you're okay! We're thinking of you today!

wishes
[notify]
LOLA

Lola - I think I'm a- lap dog!

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 10:16am PST 
We're thinking about you, Buddess and hoping all went well!wishes
[notify]
April

I love You!!

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 1:11pm PST 
Lola,
Have your mom look through petfinder.com and tell her to put in Bullmastiff. Let her see how many homeless Bullmastiffs there are and so she can see how many mixed breeds with the Bullmastiff there are also. Only because someone could not bring themselves to spay their baby girl. I am not trying to be mean or sarcastic. I am only trying to offer more info on why she should have you spayed. I do rescue and nine out ten so called responsible breeders do not take back their pups. I foster the dogs that no one wants and can not keep anymore. There is a dog in my local kill shelter I can not home because there is not enough foster homes out there and a 1 year old puppy Bullmastiff will be killed because of irresponsible breeding. You also have to consider the fact that their are people who get these dogs and abuse them and use them in awful ways. The end result is to put them down because of the danger of the dogs aggression. Please do not think of me as some who want to argue and cause hard feelings, I am not that person. I am how ever straight and to the point when it is necessary. I hope your mom decides to spayed.
way to go
[notify]
Buddess- Lachic

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 11:08am PST 
April,

You are sooooo right. I wished someone would have educated me before I purchased Buddess (I wouldn't trade her for the world). Not once has the breeder called me to inquire about the puppy I purchased. As we speak, I am in the process of obtaining a rescued Rottweiler (AKC pedigreed) that was a owner surrender. How humans treat animals says a lot about them as a person. If my dog is in pain, I am in pain. We have that bond. She depends on me and I as the pack leader provide for her. I could not have made a better decision for Buddess.

Edited by author Mon Oct 6, '08 11:09am PST

[notify]