GO!

Crate Training/Potty Training

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Boeger

Our Baby Boy!

Barked: Tue Mar 4, '08 10:51am PST 
Boeger has a day crate in our kitchen as well as his night crate in our bedroom beside my bed. Right now, I come home during the lunch hour to feed him (3x's/day) as well as get a little exercise in before I have to return to work. My problem is, he does not go potty when I need him to and then he soils his crate when my husband comes home 4 hours later. I know he is a little young yet, but I need to know if anyone has tips that I can use to get him to eliminate when I need him to. He is fed the same time every day. Thanks for any info you might be able to provide me! Boeger's Mom!
[notify]
Agador- Spartacus,- CGC

Are you afraid- of my- Guatamala-ness?

Barked: Tue Mar 4, '08 5:24pm PST 
For starters, make sure his crate is not too big. Very important. If his crate is too big he will go potty in it because there is too much room. He has to learn to separate the "den" from the potty area. Dogs are not supposed to soil the area that they sleep in - dogs are actually very clean that way. Also, when you feed him take him out directly to go potty so he can learn to associate the two. Find a key word to use - we use potty or tinks (yeah dont laugh they understand) and praise him when he does go. The take him back inside to his crate.

Our experience with our first bullmastiff - when we got him he was still with his mommy and I think already had that sense to separate the two. Potty training for him was a breeze. Our second one was already separated and crated with her sister and they were allowed to do whatever in their crate. When I tell you it was a nightmare to crate train her, I am not kidding. Almost daily baths to wash the poop off! lol It took her quite some time to get potty trained.

Never fear, they will figure it out.

Agador n Magda's mom.
[notify]
Boeger

Our Baby Boy!

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '08 8:51am PST 
Thank you for your insight regarding crate/potty training. I do have a divider I can put in to downsize his crate to a smaller area. I will try this method. He is actually soiling by the door opening and his "bed" is towards the back of the crate. At least he is not soiling himself so much now!! I am glad to hear that not all pups are created equal when it come to house training!! Thank you for your support and I will keep you posted of our progress.

Sincerely, Janet Yoho (Boeger's Mom!)
[notify]

Titus

I love- you.......- SQUIRREl!

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '08 9:46am PST 
Just remember to praise your puppy anytime you use the "potty" word and he goes to the bathroom. I got in the habit and taking a treat outside with me and rewarding the baby as soon as he went. Praise and Patience. I have heard many say Bullmatiffs are a hard breed to potty train and going through the experience twice I do have to agree. Just keep him on a schedule and praise/reward with lots of patience and he should have it down in no time.
Reducing the kennel size should help, but make sure it's not to small of an area either.

Good Luck
[notify]