GO!

Females go in heat about when?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '07 6:46pm PST 
Was wondering if female bullmastiffs generally take longer to go in heat than most dogs because of the fact that they are large breed dogs? I know they say female dogs can go in heat after 6 months and then after they do go in heat it's every 6 months afterwards.
[notify]
RIP Brute

Got food?

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 9:04am PST 
I have never owned a female bullmastiff but from what I have heard it's about every 6 months
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 3:29pm PST 
Actually my question should have been more clear. I meant to say about when do young female bullmastiffs "first" have their heat cycle. I have to try and find a way to separate my female and male. The female cant stand being away from the male though. She is one month younger than he is. She is 6 months and he is 7 months.
[notify]

RIP Brute

Got food?

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 10:23am PST 
oh sorry. I have never owned a female dog that wasn't spayed. So I really have no idea. Are you going to spay her?
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '07 5:41pm PST 
Personally, I think the easiest solution to your problem is to have her spayed before she comes into heat and gets pregnant. Not only does it have tremendous benefits to her long term health (i.e. mammary cancer, ovarian cancer and the possiblity for pyometra, an infection of the uterus which can also be deadly) but will literally take any worry you have about the situation away and will make her a happier and healthier dog long-term. Not to mention, not add to pet overpopulation as we already know it.

If that's not an option for you, I know a lot of Bullmastiff owners that board their males while their females are in heat to avoid any "oops" situations. (Males will literally take down doors or hurt themselves in their enclosure to get to a female in heat and makes them pretty unbearable to live with!) It isn't "mean" or "harsh" or "inhumane" like some people think. It is responsible.

No matter what, keep them apart (I mean apart, no contact or she will get pregnant. Not even in the same room together with supervision, outside to go potty real quick, ect.) for a good solid 4-6 weeks after she comes into heat. She is way too young to be having puppies. (That's like an 8 year old girl having a baby!)

He will breed her if given 1/2 a chance!

As for when they come in heat, every dog is an individual. Some can come in as early as 5 months, some it takes a year. We spayed Grace a day after she turned 6 months old and her teets were beginning to swell a little bit but during her spay I could tell that she had not yet began to have the first (internal) signs of coming into estrus. On the flip side, a breeder friend of mine had a female that didn't have her first heat until she was 11 months old. (And another breeder I knew had a female open-pyo at that same age on her 2nd heat!)

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '07 5:55pm PST

[notify]
Diesel ~- Mom's Angel

Will work for- food.

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '07 6:23pm PST 
Part of our contract said that we had to neuter Diesel and he was not allowed to breed. Did you sign such a contract with your breeders? thinking

If so, then now is the time to think about fulfilling that part of the arrangement. Diesel was neutered at 7 months. The reason for this was two-fold...1 because our contract stipulated it and 2 I did not want a 130 pound freight train full of testosterone roaring around my house.

I've also never had a female that wasn't spayed. My understanding is that anytime now your girl can come into heat. And if that is the case...remember what I said about a freight train...that's what your boy will turn into! eek

I wouldn't risk her health by letting them get together. I'd have her spayed for many reasons. Better safe than sorry I say.way to go

Good luck to you! wave

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '07 6:26pm PST

[notify]
Maggy Mae

Your Gonna Love- Me!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '07 6:59am PST 
I consider myself a big advocate for the Bullmastiff Breed! I say that SPAY IS THE WAY! smile

As mentioned before I would contact your breeder, any reputable breeder would have made you sign a spay/neuter contract.

Breeding neeeds to be left to the professionals... People that show their dogs to at least Champion, have all health certifcation, knows their dogs blood lines backwards and forwards and then only breed to improve upon the standard. Money should NEVER be a reason to breed a dog there are TO many homeless dogs and to many BYB that are in it for the almighty $ not saying that is your motive so please don't mis understand me.
Maggy Mae will be spayed as soon as she is old enough. No puppies for me!! laugh out loud
[notify]
Tyson

Will do anything- for a treat!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 3:09pm PST 
There are way too many Bullmastiff Puppies out there that are not bread with the best intentions other then a quick buck so please for the happiness of your beloved Bullmastiffs please have them spayed and neutered before it's too late!

Please!!!!!! SPAY IS THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 12:40am PST 
My breeders didnt cross out the numbers on the akc registration form and didnt require me to get a neuter/spay operation done by a certain date. I do plan on getting both the male and female neutered and spayed but I plan on having at least two litters beforehand. If there were already too many bullmastiffs orphaned out there they sure arent located in my area. Ive been wanting a bullmastiff ever since I was a teenager and havent ever seen any available in the newspaper or what have you. And that's been at least 10 years now. I wanted to bring the breed into my area. My male is very gentle. I am going to assume he will basically be a 130 lb golden retriever in temperament. Money is really a motivation. If that was the case I wouldnt feed them Wellness dog food, practically the most expensive dog food out there. The sire himself told me he wants his line continued so I cant neuter until he has at least one litter big grin
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 9:31am PST 
Meant to say money "isnt" a motivation. But I wouldnt mind getting back what I paid for the dogs way to go.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2