GO!

Eating Habits!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rufus

Rufus aka "My- Honey Bunny"

Barked: Wed May 23, '07 11:20am PST 
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their Bullmastiffs not wanting to eat their food?
My Rufus has not been eating well lately. During April he had a double ear infection and was treated for it and has now recovered. I have brought him to his Vet and they did a full blood screening on him. They checked for Lyme Disease, Heartworm Disease, liver and kidney functions and they did a urine test as well and everything came back fine. They are telling me that he is probably just being stubborn about his food. I am very concerned as he has only been averaging one full meal a day. Any suggestions on how I can get my stubborn Rufus to eat!! I have tried him on three new foods the last month. Wellness Foods, Evo and Timberwolf organics.
Any help would be great!!

Thank you,
Linared face
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Thu May 24, '07 8:29am PST 
I must say, I have never ever, even when the dogs are sick and not feeling good had a problem with them being anything but ravenous about their food. (Zeus ate a can of food right after he woke up from his gastropexy surgery. He was still groggy, and achy, but he still ate it all! LOL!)

Have you tried Solid Gold? We also mix some Solid Gold Green Canned Tripe in once a week with their food. (Be prepared to fix the bowl near a sink of back door. I gag everytime I open a can of that putrid stuff.) BUT, the dogs love it and snarf it down.

I can't think of any common Bullmastiff health problem that may be holding him back. Is he just picky? Also, Merrick makes some insanely goopy yummy canned foods. Maybe he'll like some of those!

Good luck!
[notify]
Bonny

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '07 10:16am PST 
are you free feeding? try giving him the food and then take it away after 5 minutes until next feeding time. maybe if its not available he will change his mind
[notify]

April

I love You!!

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '07 1:14pm PST 
Hi, My April was just as you discribed.
I would buy her good food she'd eat it for a week or two and then totally refused to eat.
My vet said I was wrapped around her paw, I said well DUH..
He also said she was picky and that I should wait her out (not easy when they are just babies).
I changed her food 4 times and the same thing happened every time refused to eat.
Not mention the different types of doo doo she had after each food we tried.
I checked into differnt ways to feed her a healthy diet.
The only diet April was happy with and is still on and now eating just fine with no issues is the Raw Diet.
I went to B-Natruals.com and got all the help I needed
Good Luck
Got to love them Bullmastiff's
[notify]
Dixie

The Viscountess- Dixie the- Ceaseless

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '07 9:10am PST 
Are you serious? We thought we were the only ones that had a bull that wouldn't eat - her nickname is "Runway" because she eats like a runway model - nothing! Very, very picky. It doesn't matter which kind of food we try, she's quite ho-hum about it. She eats a mouthful here and a mouthful there. We've even tried free feeding as a last resort, which only made it worse. Her vet says she is fine, healthy, all tests came back neg. I will say that, since we've brought another bullmastiff into the family, she will eat a little bit more...just because the other one is eating.
[notify]
Duke

Big n Daft

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 3:12am PST 
I have a 6month old Bullmastiff (Duke), he has just recently had a leg operation after tearing his ligaments! before this he used to knock his food back like there was no tomorrow! now, he is hardly eating at all. We have him on Science Plan (Puppy Large Breed)! so its not a cheap brand. We have also tried him on other foods to see if will interest him in his food again, but rather than it helping him, it just made him worse and gave him the runs!!!
Now back on Science Plan, my wife is feeding him by hand to make eating time more interesting! I know this should stop as he will expect this every time! but he literally eating a handful if we are lucky! he lost so much of his puppy weight, and with this being a crucial time for growing, it is making us more concerned.

Can anyone give us any pointers?

Many Thanks

Shaun n Pauline
[notify]
Duke

Big n Daft

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 3:14am PST 
I have a 6month old Bullmastiff (Duke), he has just recently had a leg operation after tearing his ligaments! before this he used to knock his food back like there was no tomorrow! now, he is hardly eating at all. We have him on Science Plan (Puppy Large Breed)! so its not a cheap brand. We have also tried him on other foods to see if will interest him in his food again, but rather than it helping him, it just made him worse and gave him the runs!!!
Now back on Science Plan, my wife is feeding him by hand to make eating time more interesting! I know this should stop as he will expect this every time! but he's literally eating a handful if we are lucky! he has lost so much of his puppy weight, and with this being a crucial time for growing, it is making us more concerned.

Can anyone give us any pointers?

Many Thanks

Shaun n Pauline
[notify]
Mina

Loves being- spolied

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 8:06am PST 
I have been having the same issue with Mina ever since I can rememeber. I think she is just so spoiled that she knows if she doesn't eat the food in her bowl I worrie and give her something else. Her brother ( 4 yrs old American Bulldog Bruce ) eats only a home cooked diet. She doesn't like that either.. well not the veggies part smile. At the end of the day she is a princess and she knows it thats the real issue smile
[notify]