GO!

training tips

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Thunder

the loveable- brat

Barked: Mon May 4, '09 9:13pm PST 
Ok we just ogt our boxer a few days ago. He is 6 weeks. When is a good time to start to train him the basic stuff like sit, stay, come here? Is it ok to start now or wait till he is a little older? What are some tips on training him? I would like him to learn the basics for sure.
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 12:24am PST 
six weeks is young.. I'd focus on the obvious which (for me, at least) is potty training. I believe it's never too young to start training, but remember to keep the sessions very short (no more than 3-5 minutes) and very positive as you slowly introduce Sit, down, leave it (off), and stay. At 16 weeks (when you're done with vaccinations) you can attend a puppy obedience class, which is very important, not just for the obedience, but for the social skills.

We also crate our dogs, which will save you a lot of hassle when you leave your pup unattended. Introduce the crate now, so that way it will be easier, even if you don't intend to use it on a daily basis. But this way it won't be so stressful traveling or at the vet.
[notify]
Thunder

the loveable- brat

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 5:10am PST 
Thanks for the tips!
[notify]

Ghost

The King

Barked: Sun May 10, '09 6:34pm PST 
Hello, we took Ghost to training classes, and they say to start between 4 and 6 months. Its easier becasue they are still learning and not set in there ways yet. Once they get older they get more stronger and its easier when there smaller.

snoopy
[notify]