GO!

Anyone else balding?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

MICKEY

Barked: Wed Apr 22, '09 5:09pm PST 
Mickey is a 7 year old male and has been developing large bald spots on his side and back. My vet tells me it's "male pattern baldness".... but it doesn't seem right to me. I know they are prone to skin disease, but he's been checked for mites and just about everything else. I changed his food, thinking it was a food allergy, to a no-preservative brand that is supposedly all-natural ("Taste of the Wild") anyone else out there having this same problem? Mickey is such a handsome boy, when he's got all his fur!
[notify]
♥- Apollo- ♥

Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 6:26am PST 
Have you done a thyroid test. Thyroid can cause balding as well as weight gain or loss.

Edited by author Thu Apr 23, '09 6:27am PST

[notify]
Duke

eat, sleep,- play, eat,- sleep,play...

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 6:36am PST 
Our first boxer had seasonal alopecia and the hair on his back and the top part of his legs would fall out then grow back in the winter. He was about 7 when it started and it was gradual and got worse eventually he had permanent bald spots. We also tried changing his diet and it did not make a difference.
[notify]

MICKEY

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 3:23pm PST 
Thanks for responding - yes, he did get a thyroid test and everything came out ok. It started about 2 years ago and it doesn't seem to be affected by the weather, so my poor boy gets pretty cold in the winter! Thankfully I was able to find a coat for him, though he is mortified to wear it. =)
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Fri Apr 24, '09 10:15am PST 
I would seriously guess seasonal alopecia as well. Have you gone to a holistic vet? They can help you with some non invasive remedies to help ease things. Melatonin is a good one.
[notify]