GO!

Boxers- a restricted breed.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 18, '09 9:49am PST 
Of those of you that rent, did you have a hard time finding a place that would accept a Boxer?

We are moving and found a house, thankfully, but in the search found that most places don't accept dogs over 25 lbs and those that do, rarely accept Boxers.

One lady even wanted me to draft up a statement (to be notarized) that would hold me responsible in the event that my dog attacked someone or someone else's pet. confused
I have renter's insurance and IF that EVER happened I would take responsibility anyhow!
Needless to say, we opted to not rent from her since she already had preconceived notions about my killer Chewbacca.

It's just frustrating and I completely feel for the owners of the commonly seen restricted breeds.
[notify]
tobias

Whens the food- coming????

Barked: Wed Feb 18, '09 11:54am PST 
This is a first. Boxers are less of a problem than other dogs they are very clean ,less destructive then other breeds (ie chewing ) and I have never read any articles of Boxers attacking any person. Maybe I have rose colored glasses but my Boxer is an asset to home protection and would never bite a person that was allowed to enter my home by me. Yorkies can be a problem with their insesent barking and my german shepherd was nearly bitten by one recently while on a walk. She is a very timid dog and couldn't wait to get as far away from the little monster dog as she could. Hope that landlady runs into that little monster dog on a walk , people don"t take the time to meet the dog and find out their personality before they judge them. Just like people judge each other by race etc.
Sorry I was venting but enough is enough wake up everyone this is 2009 and we all need to work together....... DONT JUDGE THE BREED....
[notify]
♥- Apollo- ♥

Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Thu Feb 19, '09 6:18am PST 
It is unfortunate but there are many people that have breed restrictions and although its often restricted to "pit bulls" it often encompeses any bully breed. Some places require an extra rider policy if you own a bully breed while others simply refuse to rent to you. We own our own home now thankfully but we are still often turned away from campgrounds and rv parks because of our boxers. We have even been asked to leave places that stated they did not allow "pit bulls" because our dogs looked similar and since we dont carry papers (because they are rescues and probably not purebred) we couldnt prove it.
Kudo's to you for not renting from them. If they are that petty about the dog breed they allow in their rental could you imagine what would happen with your cleaning deposit or something serious! thinking
[notify]

Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Thu Feb 19, '09 11:12am PST 
Yup, have heard of it. Its not as common with us as other breeds (poor pitties!) but there are people who insist on lumping us in with pits when it comes to restrictions. Thankfully, we mostly just fall under the "too big" restrictions. Too big mom can live with, but agressive would have mom duct taping someone to a chair!
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Thu Feb 19, '09 8:26pm PST 
I have 3 boxers and Fred the shih tzu. Fred recently bit a friend of mine's daughter. Yep, the 12lb little cute dog. I just find this ironic. Fred is released from quarantine tomorrow, but man, looking for a place with 4 dogs is tough. We used to own our home, but as victims of the current housing market, are now looking for a rental. I haven't met anyone who was specifically against Boxer's, it's been the size and quantity that we're having problems with!
[notify]
♥- Apollo- ♥

Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Fri Feb 20, '09 11:52am PST 
Yeah, its getting harder to find places the more dogs we have. A hotel or campground or rental will sometimes allow 1 large dog but 4 or 5 is a definate no-no! Maybe if we get all the same color Boxer they wont be able to tell that its not just one dog! hehehehehe
[notify]
Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 20, '09 3:31pm PST 
Max, sorry to hear that-I hope all goes well for you and your family in your search for a new home.

I never thought about campgrounds thinking
I suppose I will have to remember that in the future when we go camping or need a pet friendly hotel.
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Mon Feb 23, '09 5:02pm PST 
Tobias... it sounds like you were judging yorkies pretty harshly. confused Honestly, all I have to say is: shame on you.

I think boxers get a bad rep simply because they "look" like some of the bully breeds that have bad reps. Which, for some silly reason, makes them "guilty by association".

EDIT: Here's a thought. I have a friend who shows boxers. She currently has 4 full grown boxers and two puppies. She has trouble renting because of restrictions. So, she got a camper and whenever she decides to move, she just moves the camper. laugh out loud Hey, it works. Though... if you have a large family... it's not a good idea. But, since she's young and travels to show, anyway, it's a great idea.

Edited by author Mon Feb 23, '09 5:04pm PST

[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Mon Feb 23, '09 7:48pm PST 
Lilo, I disagree. I don't think Tobias is against all Yorkies, but lacking a name for the dog, clearly labels a particular dog. Bad behavior is bad behavior. It truly shouldn't matter the size of the dog.

I was at the dog park today and this little chihuahua (can someone please explain why people can't read the signs that state the size dog that is supposed to be in a respective park?!) anyway, this chihauhau was very aggressive and actually bit Max twice. Max both times responded to voice commands and didn't respond to the dog's aggression. But, my problem here is the owner thinks it's funny. IT'S NOT!!!!!! oohh I get so aggravated over this. And to those who say small dogs don't do as much damage, I beg to differ. My 12 lb Shih Tzu Fred bit my friend's daughter and she had to have 4 stitches. That's quite a bit of damage.

I just hate the double standards. If Max reacted the way that Chihauhua did, people would flip out about my aggressive dog, and possibly call Animal Control and report me... Maybe I should call and complain next time I see the chihuahua... Can you imagine Animal Control when they get there for the "vicious dog" call?! hehehe
[notify]
Jax

Jaxel- Rose-----Welcome- to the- Jungle....

Barked: Fri Mar 6, '09 10:50am PST 
Besides size/weight limits, the only breed restrictions I have ever seen on apartments rentals were: Chow Chows, Pitbulls and Dobermans. I have never had any issue with the boxer thing. Mine tends to be a bit protective and my neighbors actually like it b/c it keeps the creepos away (we live in the city) even though they don't have dogs themselves.

It is always about the owner and the dog however and since a lot of pits are mixed with boxer, I'm sure the boxer name gets thrown into the mud quite a bit.
[notify]