GO!

Eating so fast he chokes/vomits! Help/advice?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

SANTANA

I am all that is- Dog

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 9:02am PST 
Hey all! Just wondering how many boxers out there resemble a hoover vacuum cleaner when they eat? I have tried e-v-e-r-ything with Tana and he still continues to literally inhale his food, he just does not chew! He throws up right after he eats at least 2x a week and sure enough, it is whole bits of food that comes right back up. I am afraid that he is losing weight from it, and that vomited food sure does feel like a waste. I have tried putting large rocks in his bowl so that he eats around them, and I now we feed him on a cookie sheet so that the food is spread out, with the large rocks, and it takes him just a little longer to eat, but still inhales the food and vomits. Help! Any suggestions?
[notify]
Brigid

ITS ALL MINE

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 8:25pm PST 
Feed him smaller amounts, from your hand, a few times a day. If they wont go eat slower, and you have already tried the tricks, plus the specialty bowls for gulping dogs, that's the easiest way. You can also just add handfuls to his bowl, and try that.
[notify]
Jackson the Boxer

Boxers Rule!

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 12:11am PST 
An EXCELLENT way to get your guy to eat slower, real slower, is to put a heaping (or 2) tablespoon of plain (or vanilla) yogurt on the bottom of his bowl, and put the dry food on top. No need to mix, but it's OK to do so. You should find your Boxer will now lick up his food, instead of gulping and swallowing it whole.

My human slowed my rate-of-consumption from "instant" to several minutes. The only bummer is that I only get the yogurt in my breakfast, and not my dinner!

Hope this was helpful.
Jackson the Boxer
[notify]

Cracker- Jack~Cracker

Watch yourself!- I'm awesome!

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 6:55am PST 
Cracker Jack inhales his food too!! We have started putting it spread out on a towel and that helps.
Or I've heard that a giant round pan with a bowl turned upside down in the middle helps.

I love the yogurt idea, we feed our dogs plain yogurt occasionally and they love it, but never thought about using it like that.
[notify]
SANTANA

I am all that is- Dog

Barked: Tue Nov 4, '08 2:04pm PST 
hey guys,
thanks for all your suggestions. i dont think hand feeding was at all pratical..and the yogurt at the bottom would just give him the runs since he has sensitive belly.

santana has done really well since i bought the "brakefast" bowl. i put off buying it for so long becuz i really didnt think think it would work, but it does. it slows him down enough to make him chew becuz his snout cant fit into the bowl he is forced to use his tongue. i also switched his food to something with larger bites, and voila! no more throwing up yay!
[notify]
Tigger

Barked: Tue Nov 4, '08 2:12pm PST 
Yea! cheer So glad to hear you found something that worked! cheer
[notify]
Petra Star

We Do Not Gnaw- On Our Kitty

Barked: Sat Nov 8, '08 7:42pm PST 
Hi All,

Well, what's worked for Petra is NOT having set feeding times... and not getting all worked up when it's time to fill the dish. She and Harlan are allowed to basically "free feed" throughout the day, with an overall daily limitation in mind. We fill 2 stainless steel bowls full, which will pretty much carry them both for a day and a half. They get chicken jerky treats once a day and small amounts of people food (or RMBs) once or twice a day. When the empty bowls are noticed, they get refilled, but not on any particular timeline, so very little anticipation is generated.

Point is, the unexciting kibble (Innova, Adult, Large Breed) is ALWAYS there... so any time their tummies are rumbly, they can munch, whenever they like, from their own bowls, no stress, no excitement, no rush.

Good additives are (in quantaties of about 2 tablespoons/each a day):
> PLAIN yogurt with active cultures and NO sweeteners, additives, or flavourings of any kind
> canned sardines in soybean oil
> PLAIN full fat cottage cheese
> canned tuna in soybean oil
> block cheddar cheese, 1 inch cube
> hard boiled egg, 1
> 1/4 ripe avacado, no pit or skin

Caveat: Petra is a very large girl (tall, big boned, and muscular) and has what I call a "Katrina Reserve" on her, which amounts to an extra 5%-8% pounds of body fat. Harlan, on the other hand, at 3 years, seems to eat the same amount, if not more, and stays "boxer show thin". Go figure.
[notify]