GO!

Pros and Cons

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '07 8:12pm PST 
Wellllllll.... that again depends on the dog. Its more often than not FEMALE's that have the most problem with that. But it can happen with males as well. Are you looking at getting a rescue or a pup? In most cases, you can tell pretty fast during introductions by body language as to how they will get along. But not always.

I know about 100 boxers. They are very popular in this area. In that number, not one of the males is aggressive. This doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, because it can and does, just means that the ones that I know aren't. Now they do NOT take being bullied.... boxer nature generally says if somebody is coming at them they aren't going to run. But I do know say, roughly 30 females outta the hundred. Of that 30, maybe 10 are same sex dog aggressive. (and 3 that are dog aggressive to all but THEIR family)

During the boxer shows that we have gone to, we have talked shop with a lot of breeders..... cant help it I am addicted. laugh out loud Anyway, I would say that in a large showing with 500 boxers, you might have say, 30 or so that are kept well controlled so they cant challenge other dogs. And these are well bred, well trained boxers, not your average back yard breeder pups. (you might have seen mom on TV when they've scanned the crowd, cause our big show in January is televised on animal planet and she attends all 4 days. laugh out loud )

So statistically, yes it does happen, but its not all that prevalent and its mostly girls.

Please don't tell Brigid I said that...... She will never forgive me!

Either way you go though, I am guessing you are going to love us! Just make sure you watch the body language going during introductions, and watch how they play.
[notify]
Cash

I sniff for a- living!

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:03am PST 
I actually am kinda torn in what I'm going to do. On one hand I'd love to adopt one and give it a good and loving home and plus their tempermant is already known. But on the other hand, if I get a pup I won't have to worry as much about fighting as I would getting an adult.

But thanks alot to all of you for answering all my questions! It's been greatly appreciated!hail

oh and if you think of something else I might need to know. please don't hesistate to say something
[notify]
Rocco

Don't let things- bother you!

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 5:11pm PST 
I don't get the fighting part. If the temperment is known fighting should not be an issue.
[notify]

Rocky

Born to Love

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '07 2:46pm PST 
Boxers are great with kids and love to be right up under you. I like to think I'm a lap dog and will be up in your lap in a flash!!
[notify]
Tess

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '07 8:39pm PST 
Also remember that Boxers don't like to be left alone. I am lucky that I work from home and my girl can be close to me all the time but if I go out don't I know about it. They do require a lot of love and attention.

I have photos of Tess hiding under my desk as she didn't want to go outside when she knew I was going out.

I couldn't be without her!!big grin
[notify]
Mercie

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '07 6:39pm PST 
Mercie is a rescue dog. She was a little over a year old when she came to live with us. She loves children, she loves her kitty brother and sister, and she loves her cousin who is a 6 pound maltese. She occassionally "chews" on our persian cat. I think Mercie thiks she's helping in some way. Mia, the persian doesn't care. The maltese pulls on her jowls (sp?), climbs over her back, steals her bone, and she sits there and takes it. Now if my husband sneaks up on me, or hugs me with waht she believes is too much force. She is all business. I like her being protective of me, but sometimes I worry. If my husband is home, everything is fine. If it's just she and I, she will not allow a stranger in the house. I had to put her up when the cable guy came last time. Mercie is my first boxer and I love her to death. I like to say that she is perfect, but like everyone else has said. You need to know what you are geting into. She is a wonderful snugglebug, highly intelligent, and a devoted companion, but she will tear up jack if you leave her alone. Good luck in your decision, and I would recommend a rescue. I truly believe that they appreciate their new lives, and yearn to please because of that.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 1:32am PST 
They also have the highest cancer of any dog.
[notify]
Angel

I am Angel, how- can you say NO- to me????

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 11:17pm PST 
The kidney bean dance! I love that name. I had a boxer for 11 years, every time I went near him he would wiggle and walk sideways until his head almost touched his lil nub tail. When he passed, we got another puppy and named her angel, in memory of oscar who is an angel now, every time she does the dance I remember him.....Tear!!
[notify]
Jack

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 11:03am PST 
Only con I know is the farking mine will burn your eyes. Oh I never have been able to break him of counter surfing-he loves bread and doesn't get it so we can keep his weight down.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3