GO!

Grooming

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ohana

Is it time to- play ball?

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 2:56pm PST 
Hey friends. This question has been a source of much "discussion" in my house. Our BC Ohana just turned one and this will be her first summer as a "big girl". She's got some pretty long fur (especially around her neck, and on her rump - which I lovingly call her 'butt feathers". We live in Central Calif and will experience months of 100 degree days. My husband thinks we should have her trimmed all over, but I think she'll be fine b/c her coat isn't that thick. Anyone out there shave/trim their kids for the summer?

Thanks in advance,

Patty
[notify]
kai

why are they not- all bowing?

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 5:27pm PST 
we don't need to do our older dog that is not BC she is pretty short haired, but I can see where Kai who is 1/2 BC is going to be pretty warm as she is almost all black. Our next door neighbor shaves her p.b. tri color aussie that is primarily black every May, her coat grows back all fluffy and full by september. She does seem more comfortable for it.
[notify]
Jackson

Christmas Eve- Baby

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 9:01am PST 
As part of his normal (winter & summer) grooming routine, Jackson does get trimmed (i.e. hair on his feet & private area trimmed and his fan tail evened out) and undercoat maintained, but that's it.

Shaving double-coated breeds is highly discouraged (my groomer would refuse to). Border Collies are pretty hardy and were bred to work in all types of weather (owner caution in heat & cold goes w/o saying). The coat protects from the elements, including heat & cold, and also protects from sun damage and other nasties. So long as you brush & comb and keep on top of the undercoat, exercise in the coolest part of the day and prevent overheating, and provide a refuge to escape the heat, Ohana will be fine keeping her tresses. Well written explanations: http://www.webvet.com/main/article/id/1353 and www.preciouspawsgrooming.com/ShavingCoatedDogs.aspx
[notify]

Bertrum

Want to play?

Barked: Sun Jan 24, '10 3:22pm PST 
No, please don't trim a Border Collie's fur, only around the feet and the back legs up to the hocks, the double coat is there for a reason to protect against the elements and this includes the heat and sun. Bertie has a really thick coat and although we don't get really long hot summers in the UK, we do occassionally get 100 F and above and Bertie doesn't seem to suffer at all in this. Alot of the thicker coated, show bred Border collies over here have NZ lines in them.
[notify]
Anya

I got my home- with a hug.

Barked: Sun Jan 24, '10 10:16pm PST 
Jackson hit it right on the head! The double coat does protect against heat and the cold. So trimming the fur is counter-intuitive to what nature designed. wink
[notify]