GO!

Same sex collies living together in peace?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Roxy

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '09 7:38pm PST 
I have a two year old border collie/blue heeler. Right now she doesn't live with me because of problems that came up when I was moving. She'll be coming to live with me again soon. I've been talking to a few of the shelters in my area about adopting a collie. I've found a boy I really like and a few girls I'm also interested in.

I know there can be issues with same sex dogs living together but I've heard that same sex collies tend to get along better than other breeds. Is this true or just a myth?
[notify]
Misty

Misty "Moo Cow"

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 8:18am PST 
I think it all depends on the personalities of the dogs myself, not so much the breed. My girlfriend has 3 bcs. 2 pure and 1 bc/blue heeler mix. They're all males, and get along. It's been my personal experience with all the dogs Misty's come across (even though she's kind of submissive) she only once actually didn't like a dog. It was a golden retriever, that it seemed like none of the other dogs liked either. That was the only time I actually saw Misty show her teeth, and boy did she look MEAN! I took Misty to visit my friend who has the 3 bcs and she got along with all of them, it was her dogs who had issues at times. So, I believe it's a personality conflict that seems to be the problem. If there's a way to introduce them first before actually bringing them home for good, I would try that. Good Luck!
[notify]
Jin, CGC, SDiT, PSD, Assist

Smarter than a- fifth grader.

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 8:40pm PST 
I've never had a problem with same sex dogs living together. I've had problems with same sex roommates though.
[notify]