GO!

How often do you bathe yor Bichon?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Coconut

Cookey

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '07 8:04pm PST 
I have a La-Chon, and she gets quite dirty when she goes out, esp. with the snow and rain lately. She loves running around in our puppy park near our apt. I don't want to bathe her every day, as I know that Bichon's have a tendency to have skin allergies and issues, but she gets so dirty so quick. How often should I bathe her?

Oh, and is there any solution to her eating her own poo? I've heard fig newtons work, as opposed to drug powders and alternatives. I pick it up as soon as I can so she won't, but it seems to be to her liking. Gross!shrug
[notify]
JR Angel

- cherished angel-

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '07 9:11am PST 
I get a bath every week.
Mom says it keeps me feeling better. I don't use whitening shampooos though, they are too harsh for me. She uses a veterinary shampoo that the doctor gave her. If you bathe often use a gentle shampoo.

To discourage eating stool, you can sprinkle some meat tenderizer onto the food. That is what my vet told my mommy when I did it when I was a puppy.
[notify]
Angel Shana

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '07 9:40am PST 
I get bathed once a week if I am out 'getting dirty'. My mom also uses dog 'oatmeal shampoo' for me for my sensitive skin.
[notify]

Lacey (In- Loving- Memory)

Throw the Ball,- THROW IT!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 6:19am PST 
Most of the dogs here get bathed every 10 to 14 days. When we go out, mom has to wipe our paws and bellies with a towel as we return to the house. sugar gets bathed wtih Bichon Bubbles, it is the only thing she doesn't itch, itch ITCH with. The rest of us are trying out different whitening shampoos. The Bichon Bubbles don't get us our whitest.

Me, I am a tomboy, and a dirt magnet. I have so much FUN outside, I splash through puddles (everyone else goes around) and roll in the mud. I get a few touch ups here and there. It only counts as a full bath if my head and ears get wet!
[notify]
Little Miss

Kiss Me, Pet Me,- and I am yours!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 6:40pm PST 
I also get bathed alot. Mommy said if I am going to be sleeping on her face, she wants me to have a clean buttred face I asked alot about this and was told that by bathing too much, she may get dry skin, it is not going to harm her, so just use the oatmeal shampoo. Something sensitive for her skin.
[notify]
Fiona

Rub my belly!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 8:51pm PST 
I'm supposed to get a bath every week, but I don't always. (I don't really behave well in the bath!) But I do get a bath at least once every two weeks. My mommy uses a whitening shampoo, then a flea and tick shampoo, then an oatmeal shampoo to soothe my skin.
[notify]
Ozzie

I LOVE ME!

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 6:58am PST 
I get a proper bath usually every 2 weeks and my face and legs washed every week. My mummy uses a whitening shampoo on me to try and keep me clean. I am very well behaved in the bath as long as I am allowed to shake myself off afterwards before i'm blow dryed laugh out loud mum doesn't like this bit so much as she ends up as wet as I am!!!
[notify]
I ♥ Lucky Dream

Goodbye- !

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 9:57pm PST 
Hi there wave I get a full bath every week in the summer(plus I get to get in the tub everyday with just water and my tubby toys smile to help me stay cool ) and in the winter I get a full bath every other week so that my skin doesn't dry out. Mom uses the tropiclean line on me and she really loves it. Mom hates when I am even a little bit dirty(not me big grin ) she always laughs when she brings me out and someone says "oh my he must have just come from the groomers he's so clean" and she hasn't even given me my bath, only brushed me and other times when I am fresh out of the tub and sparkling and no one says a thing laugh out loud oh well BOL! As for the poo thing mom isn't sure(we never had that problem, sorry) I use a potty box and after I go I bark until mom comes and cleans my box, she says it's like "flushing" my toliet BOL I won't use it until she has cleaned it, I am not a fan of poo, but one of my cousins, a Pom, does that all the time and their vet gave them something for him to eat so that he won't eat his poo anymore, don't know what it was called though, sorry. Also they told her to spray the poo with bitter apple so that it will detour him from eating it, but I am not really sure. Hope you find what you are looking for smile good luck.

*Ozzie* I am the same way smile I sleep in the tub laugh out loud and when I am done I love to shake although I find rolling on mom's bed to be much more fun BOL

Edited by author Tue Mar 18, '08 9:58pm PST

[notify]
Sparky

I'm an angel now- with beautiful- wings...

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 11:41pm PST 
The longer the coat the dirter you will get. I am in a short clip now and get a bath every 3 weeks. When I am longer in full coat about every 10-14 days. The important thing is to make sure you use dog shampp only and wet you down for a few minutes to put back moisture into your coat. Also use a dog dryer with no heat and it won't dry out your coat...............
[notify]
Molly

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 8:47am PST 
I get a bath once a month, if that.
[notify]