GO!

How Do I Clean The Stuff Under Her Eye?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Princess

hyper sleep- hyper

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 12:17pm PST 
Princess has some brown streaks under her eye and i am not sure how i clean it off? Any suggestions?
[notify]
Princess

Princess'- deserve royal- treatment!

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '07 7:13am PST 
TEE HEE HEE....Hi Princess, it's Princess!! laugh out loud

Those dark stains are from the tears that you shed becoming infected with a fungus that turns to a redish brown colour. I had it twice myself but it disappeared the first time when I was put on oral antibiotics when I was spayed and then again when I was put on antibiotic eyedrops after cataract removal.

Now, I am in no way promoting the use of antibiotics for tear staining but, I was lucky to have had the chance to get rid of the infection that way.

There is a GREAT product out there called ANGEL EYES (just google it) that you can give to your dog on a daily basis to get rid of the fungus...I've never used it myself but many, many of my Bichon friends have and had glowing things to say about it!

The best way to prevent and get rid of the fungus is to keep the hair under the eyes dry. I have mommy blot the area with a tissue to absorbe the excess moisture during our daily grooming. That has kept the fungus away from the area and I am still free and clear of stains cheer Some people say to clean the area with baby oil but I have never had it work for me and I would just think that the oil would keep the area damp and actually promote fungal growth! Others say to put vinegar in the drinking water but....I would not want to drink that so I can't tell you if that one works.

Good luck.....keep those eyes dry and clean any "gunk" away.
[notify]
Princess

Princess'- deserve royal- treatment!

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '07 10:10am PST 
ooops, sorry, I should have said that it was a yeast infection, not a fungal infection....my bad.
[notify]

JR Angel

- cherished angel-

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '07 6:34pm PST 
Most white dogs get these brown tear stains. If you want to clean the area every day with a little warm water on a cotton pad you can often reduce it. It is usually caused by allergies too, because white dogs have very little pigment, they are more prone to allergies.
Besides Angel Eyes, one thing that you can get from your vet, which is very inexpensive is Tylan Powder. It is a mild antibiotic and it can be given in tiny amounts every day. This is the same active ingredient that is in Angel Eyes.
[notify]
Halfpint II

What can I get- into today?

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 5:30pm PST 
Halfpint gets those too...he lets me gently and I mean gently, clip the hair around his eyes and the stain is gone for about a week and then it comes back but the more I trim around, the better it gets. He got used to that as a puppy and trust me...I just love my Bichon!
[notify]
Molli

Yiddles

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '07 12:10pm PST 
I did this myself with my 13 1/2 year old Bichon (RIP), my mother's white poodle, and several other Bichon friends and believe me, it absolutely works!

Give your darling one Rolaids (or store brand works also -- but probably not a flavored one) per day. Act as if it's a big treat and your Bichon will not only eat it, but demand it. You might need to begin with cleaning off the face, but after about 3 to 4 weeks of regularly eating a Rolaids, those eyes will clear up and stay completely clean as long as the babies get the Rolaids.

I had a show dog groomer in OKC who told me this trick and it worked so beautifully. I tried the "Angel Eyes" and several other products of that type with no luck and many, many fights with my Bichon. The Rolaids were so easy, I couldn't believe it!

My groomer explained to me that Bichons will have stomach acid just like people do, only they will secret the acid through their eyes, and that is why the Rolaids works.

However, you must be patient and give it time to work. My mother tried it once with her white poodle for just a couple of weeks, and then gave up thinking it wasn't working. When I fussed at her about it, she tried again, gave it a month this time, and now Coco's eyes are perfect!

If Molli's eyes start the red runs, she will immediately start getting Rolaids once a day!

Meet my little Molli! She just came to me 6 weeks ago after my beautiful and wonderful 13 1/2 year old, Sasha, passed away. I still miss Sasha so very much, but Molli is a lot of fun and extremely easy to love.

Have a wonderful day, and try the Rolaids trick for the red eyes!
[notify]