GO!

Question about Food.....

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Izzie Bear

Diving Izzie

Barked: Thu Aug 28, '08 4:41pm PST 
So, I have a 9 month old Berner named Izzie, she is our first dog, we absolutely love her to death. She is such a good girl. I was wondering what type of food should I be feeding her. We have been told Berners have very sensitive stomach so NO dairy products. We also were told to switch to adult food around 7-8 months so that she doesn't grow to fast and hurt her joints. We have just been feeding her Costco (Kirkland) puppy and now adult food with Chicken broth and Natural Balance turkey bits twice a day. She seems to be doing well on it. No problems, but I was just wondering about overall health and stuff. Thanks for your comments.
[notify]
Riley- CGC

"i can take- apart the remote- contol"

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 5:52am PST 
we feed riley blue buffalo for large breed (you can find it at petsmart and petco) it's about 43.00 for the large bag. i def would recommend looking at their webpage they have way more info about the food than i could give you. i also give him a daily supplement of glucousamine and chonchitan
[notify]
Gus

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 10:04am PST 
Hi.
One concern with this breed is bloat -- any food with CORN should be completely stopped. What you can do is the "water test" - take the current dry food you're giving and put it in a cup of water for 2 hours -- notice the expansion. Does it blow up to three times its size? You can imagine what's happening in the dog's stomach. This can lead to bloat, or gastric torsion.

I feed Gus Flint River Ranch, dry dog food, with 25% fresh or raw cocktail.

ex: 75% FRR dry, 25% cut bananas, cooked and smashed peas, half a hardboiled egg, cooked pumpkin, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

A great link on feeding can be found here, at Barbara De Grasso's website, who breeds world champion Berners.

http://bernesemountaindog.ws/dietC.htm

She KNOWS what she's talking about. My breeder is Jill Breedin, from www.swisskiszfarm.com. She educated me on feeding Gus FRR (which is shipped for free, within 2 days of ordering, in 20 lb bags or more, right to your door.) 40 lbs of food is about 60$. $1.30/lb.

Gus loves green peas, carrots, apple slices, chicken broth, salmon, liver, etc. He has a gorgeous coat, no health problems, and even has the best disposition I've ever seen in a dog.

Please, try to get away from the Costco food -- it's akin to giving McDonalds to your baby.

Here is the link to Flint River -- they're all natural, and if you do a price comparison, I'm sure you'll see it's a marginal difference.
Plus, because corn is added as a "filler" in commercial dry dog foods, the stools are large -- with FRR, because it's concentrated, healthy dry food (meat based) and no corn is used, the stools are firmer and smaller.

http://www.frrco.com/indexFlash.cfm?121873
[notify]

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 4:32pm PST 
Actually, the Kirkland brand dog food sold at Costco is quite good and at a reasonable price.
It has no corn, wheat or by-products and it lists meat as the first 2 ingredients - far from being "McDonalds for dogs".

I feed my Bernese a natural raw diet. My dogs have not have any problems with allergies, ear infections or anal problems. Bosley's breeder weans all her puppies to a raw diet, and highly recommends it to all her puppy buyers. She has been breeding Bernese for nearly 25 years and has been feeding raw for 15 of those years.

Kirkland Dog Food Ingredientss:

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 23% minimum
Crude Fat 14% minimum
Crude Fiber 4% maximum
Moisture 10% maximum
Zinc 200mg/kg minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
Vitamin A 15000 IU/KG minimum
Omega-6 fatty acids 2.2% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4 % minimum
Glucosamine HCl not less than 300 mg/kg
Chondroitin sulfate not less than 100 mg/kg
[notify]
Titan

Trouble

Barked: Thu Feb 19, '09 4:44pm PST 
I started titan, who is now 15 mths on origin, and then to TLC which is an all natural food that is shipped right to your door, my breed recommened it. But I compared the vit and inged to the kirkland costco food and it is very similar. It has has been about 6 mths or more,, and he still looks great and acts like a puppy.. I very happy with the food...
[notify]
Brieana

I am so darn- cute

Barked: Sun Jun 7, '09 12:36pm PST 
MY MOMMY HAS HAD ME ON THE RAW DIET TOO I GET A MIXTURE OF PRIMAL IT IS A FROZEN RAW MIXTURE OF MEAT VEGIES AND FRUIT AND I GET SOME KIBBLE THE NEW GRAIN FREE NAMED CORE BY WELLNESS. I LOVE TO EAT. MY BIG SISTER MISS BELLA GETS FRESH SALMON CHICKEN AND VEGIES EGGS ETC...AND A GRAIN FREE WELLNESS KIBBLE TOO!
[notify]