GO!

Am I a Mal?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rafi

Barked: Thu Apr 10, '08 9:25pm PST 
Do you think I am a Mal? People who have mals say I'm a mal and people who have gsds say I'm a gsd. My mom thinks I'm a gsd x mal.

I am not nearly as big as a standard sized gsd and my coat looks exactly like a mal.

What do you think?
[notify]
Kai

maligator..defin- ed

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '08 11:29am PST 
As a 13 yr breeder of Malinois, I would say your boy is a very nice mix, malinois/german shepherd. I visited your page, and the head/face photo appears to have a more GSD appearance. You might want to go to akc.org and take a look at the characteristics and standard of each breed and compare them to your boy. The GSD is is longer in body, and the back slopes, compared to the BSD, which is square. Some people often confuse the two, mainly due to the black mask and natural erect ears. Some also believe that the two share the same heritage, which is untrue.
At any rate, you have a fine looking boy and I'm sure from the way you describe him, he will give you many years of love and joy, congratulations on your wonderful rescue!way to go

Edited by author Thu Apr 17, '08 11:31am PST

[notify]
Jade

Chill out, make- love not war

Barked: Thu Apr 24, '08 10:38pm PST 
Definitely looks more like a Mal, but seems like a mix w/a German Shep.
[notify]

Clara

I can't wait to- meet new- friends!

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 10:26am PST 
I would also say Malinois X GSD, but you're in great company! Clara is also a Mal X GSD, and she's a fantastic dog- a bit higher drive than most GSD's, but with a leaner body and shorter hair than a GSD. Mals share many characteristics with GSD's- both are herding dogs and both are highly intelligent and need a LOT of stimulation and discipline to become good canine citizens. All herding dogs need jobs to do, whether it be herding, guarding, or just playing a lot. Congratulations, these dogs- both Mals and GSD's - are the best!
The mix of the two can offer the best of both worlds.
[notify]
Clara

I can't wait to- meet new- friends!

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 10:27am PST 
I would also say Malinois X GSD, but you're in great company! Clara is also a Mal X GSD, and she's a fantastic dog- a bit higher drive than most GSD's, but with a leaner body and shorter hair than a GSD. Mals share many characteristics with GSD's- both are herding dogs and both are highly intelligent and need a LOT of stimulation and discipline to become good canine citizens. All herding dogs need jobs to do, whether it be herding, guarding, or just playing a lot. Congratulations, these dogs- both Mals and GSD's - are the best!
The mix of the two can offer the best of both worlds.
[notify]