GO!

Training with a spray bottle

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

AJ (5/25/98 - 7/27/09)

Barked: Fri May 27, '05 7:12pm PST 
My mom doesn't use the spray bottle on us, but she knows some people who use it on their doggies to train them.

Mom's reason for posting this topic is to warn people to please use caution if you use that method of training. If the sprayer nozzle on the bottle is turned to the forceful "stream"setting and the doggie is hit in the eyes, it could cause a bad injury to the eye.
[notify]
Sterling

Yes, I am the- Center of the- Universe

Barked: Fri May 27, '05 8:21pm PST 
Hey AJ,

Good point. You're right of course!

When I was a wee pup and decided what I really wanted to do was bite people's hands (in play, not in anger), Mom was advised to use a spray bottle in training me to stop this behavior.

She did, and it was REALLY effective -- BUT she never sprayed at my head. Mom always pointed the spray at my rear end. She only had to spray me twice, then just the sound of the water sloshing in a squirt bottle would stop me in my tracks. smile Maybe this wouldn't work for a water-loving retriever, but it sure was effective for a hydrophobic Rat Terrier! LOL
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Fri May 27, '05 9:30pm PST 
Spray bottles are training aids?

I thought they were yummy treats coming out of the bottle. I used to love them!!!! (is that why mommie doesn't use it anymore?)
[notify]

Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Fri May 27, '05 9:31pm PST 
Sterling.. my ancestors were water fowl retrivers smile
[notify]
Sterling

Yes, I am the- Center of the- Universe

Barked: Fri May 27, '05 11:07pm PST 
Makes sense, Snowy! smile Must be why you like the water. LOL My ancestors are earth dogs and sight hounds ... not so big on water. smile
[notify]