|Barked: Fri May 27, '05 2:36am PST |
That's such a frustrating problem, isn't it? And if you're like me, food or treats won't help. I've got a strong prey-drive, but NO food drive, so didn't care if treats were involved or not when Mom was training me.
One important thing when teaching "Come" is eye-contact. Dogs are really smart, but they are very much on the "If I can't see you, I don't have to listen to you" wavelength. Many dogs will deliberately refuse to look at you when you give a command they don't want to obey.
Shakespeare's right about the leash too. That was a really important tool for Mom to teach me to come. Actually, Mom bought a 25 foot-long training leash and used that outside in the yard to teach me come. Here's how we did it, and it worked for a headstrong little guy like me. Have your mom try:
1) Clip on your 25' long leash and take you out into the yard (or a park or whatever).
2) Let you wander away and get distracted sniffing or looking at stuff.
3) Say your name to get your attention.
4) IF you don't look up at your name, your mom can give the leash a light "pop" to get you to look at her.
5) When she has eye-contact with you, she should say "Louis, Come!" with authority. This is not a question. It's not a request. It's a command, and her tone of voice should tell you that.
6) Like Shakespeare said, if you come to her, she should have a party. Make a BIG deal out of it. Do a happy dance and don't worry about what the neighbors think. If you're a foodie, she can give you a little treat too.
7) If you DIDN'T come, she should NOT repeat the command. She should "reel you in" on your leash. Even if she has to drag you to her with your leash, she should still act all excited when you get to her and praise you lavishly.
8) Repeat. Again and again until you come EVERYTIME on the leash. Then and only then should she try it without a leash. Otherwise you'll just learn that she can't control you without the leash on.
It may take some time, but it'll work. It did for me, and trust me, I have very definite ideas about doing things my own way most of the time.
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|