GO!

older Bernese attacking puppy

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  

Barked: Wed Mar 19, '14 11:06am PST 
it is a bit more serious and I have rushed upstairs a couple of times to find the puppy upside down with the older dog on top of him snarling
he has multiple scars that will always be there
that said he is 45 kilos and 10 months oldso not as fragile as he once was
and I never seperate them anymore but try and keep an eye on them where possible
most of the time they are fine but the confusing thing is the older dog puts up with the pup licking and jumping on him most of the time but the growling comes out of the blue like when the pup is in his crate alone at night
puzzling
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Mar 19, '14 11:12am PST 
Tough situation to be in. My overriding concern would be the welfare of the puppy. I mean, what impact are the attacks having on him, not just physically, but mentally? I'd be concerned about him fighting back, either dog doing some very serious damage, the puppy going on to show similar behaviour to other dogs outside the home, becoming depressed. A whole list of concerns really. So with that in mind you need to carefully weigh up the quality of life the pup is having and act on his best interests.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Mar 19, '14 4:11pm PST 
I also would be very concerned about the damage the older dog is doing to the pup along with what will happen if and when the pup starts fighting back. That's very difficult to break up once they're in a knock down battle. The pup is approaching adulthood and he will go through changes. He "may" get to the point where he's had enough and fight back. It's one thing to break up 2 small dogs, but your talking about 2 very large dogs that can do some damage. That's when you run the risk of getting hurt. Please keep us posted.

Edited by author Wed Mar 19, '14 4:13pm PST

[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2