GO!

Help with Fighting Females

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '14 3:09pm PST 
I have two dogs. The first one we adopted is a female Schipperke, Beagle, Greyhound mix, the other is a female Corgi that we recently (last June) adopted. We have had about 7 fights since bringing the Corgi home. These fights have always been over food, toys, or attention. We are now very careful to take up uneaten food after 5 minutes, to not encourage them playing together, and to give attention evenly. Is there any way to STOP the fighting or is managing the only real option? As near as we can tell the Corgi will nip our other dog and she responds by biting back which starts the fight. They are small enough my husband and I just pick them up and away till they are calm again then reintroduce them slowly. Is there anything else we should be doing? So far there have only been a few breaks of skin and no real injuries but we always stop it right away.

Oh and they are both fixed!

Edited by author Sun Mar 9, '14 3:15pm PST

[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '14 10:05am PST 
bump
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '14 10:17am PST 
I have no advice for you. Whenever I had 2 females at the same time there were always fights going on. For some reason the males all get along with each other, but the females together are alway a problem. Maybe that's why females dogs are called Bitcheslaugh out loud
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 1:55pm PST 
Are they spayed? Going into or getting near heat can cause aggression. I think part of it is just the dogs. All of our Bitches get along fine, but the 3 mail dogs have to be kept separate.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 4:10pm PST 
I have to agree with Hucky and Ringo. From what I've read females are notorious for fighting with other females. Why I don't know. Our cats are like that too. The boys seem to respect each others space, but the girls are always hissing and swiping at each other. I would consult a trainer.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 6:48pm PST 
There are many females who do great together, but when it goes bad between females, it often goes really, really bad. Get a behaviorist to evaluate them.

All the cases I personally know of where the situation couldn't be fixed and one dog had to be rehomed have involved two females. On the other hand, I do have two happy females here with me now, so don't give up without consulting a behaviorist.
[notify]
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 4:45am PST 
Addy is correct...it depends on the females. I currently have five females living together in perfect harmony, however I have rehomed several over the years doe to them attempting to kill each other constantly.
[notify]