GO!

I'm pretty sure this is NOT how to bike with your do--thoughts?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 4:49pm PST 
Whoa, Sasha! Making their dog chase them in their car?!!eek That's cruel--poor dogs probably think they're getting left behind!

Probably it would be ideal if you could bike somewhere and not have to have the dog attached, but that's not always practical.

Not sure if these dogs were loving it or not . . .. I'm not against people biking with their dogs at all, but I think if you're trying to get the energy out, like say a border collie or aussie---it would be far better to take them somewhere they can sprint in big runs and circles, like chasing frisbees, etc. I don't think a bike ride really can really replicate the physics of a true dog sprint , with the turns and terrain . .and really you'd have to go scary fast (for me anyway) to keep up with some dogs' top speed. With a lot of high energy breeds, it's their minds that need to be worked as much as their bodies to get them to settle.

I know with horses if people would try to work a horse until it was tired thinking that would calm it and make it easier to handle, it could in the short run, but eventually the horse gets fitter and more stamina and soon you've got a super fit animal on your hands that still isn't necessarily trained or mentally settled. I'd expect you could do that with a high energy breed if you didn't give him mental exercise too.

I think too it may be under appreciated how much mental stimulation is involved in a couple miles of getting to sniff and investigate the environment for a dog. I know sometimes mine come home very satisfied and in a mood to nap even just walking.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 5:03pm PST 
I think too it may be under appreciated how much mental stimulation is involved in a couple miles of getting to sniff and investigate the environment for a dog.

Totally agree with this. I can run Onyx with the bike until he's plenty tired, but in less than an hour he's ready to go again. Do a 30 minute off lead hike and he'll usually be happy to chill the rest of the day.
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 MBDCh- FM TF3

Take That!

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 11:49am PST 
we tailor our bike runs so that they are more interesting. smile Ninja runs off leash and runs laps around me and runs way out in front and then runs all the way back. In addition there are some structures at this area that he runs around kind of like an agility obsticle. Theres a big model train thing surrounded by a circular fence and and runs to the bike and waits until i say GO! and he runs away from me to lap around it and back to me. little fun games like this really wares him out because of the intensity he puts into it. Its really fun and he gets to run at his crazy pace and i get to bike at mine.
[notify]

Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 1:46pm PST 
I know Augusta, that's why it's so terribly sad frown I just wanted to go steal the dogs and take them to a home that wouldn't do that to them shrug

You make some valid points though, my dogs' stamina is ridiculous. Onyx I wish they were that easy to please, but we all went for an hour and a half off leash hike in the woods this morning and they were still pretty good to go. On the other hand the leash walks thru the neighborhood, done for the sole purpose of their leash training and ensuring they don't react to the things we don't see in the woods, brings them home MORE hyper than when we left. I keep my dogs beside me, it's their job to keep the leash slack and not pull. Sasha carries her weighted backpack and Dante normally gets mentally tired because he alerts on all fenced dogs and some people. However there's not too much training going on besides that, so that would be the lack of mental stimulation i guess, the new sights/sounds just isn't enough for these guys.

Anyway yeah ideal was the biking to the dog park and back, i felt it gave my BC a good mix of the physical exercise along with the mental fun at the park chasing sniffing and some obedience
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 1:55pm PST 
I actually found it much more manageable when the dogs would run and pull the bike. Even if squirrels would bound in front of them, all their momentum, no matter the direction, would transition into forward momentum on the bike. Pretty fun.

I will say though, that when first trying it out, I did hold the leash and just have the collar on. Didn't have a harness or special attachment. I wanted to see if it was even a possibility before really diving into it. Maybe that's where the people in question are at.

But I never made the dogs run. They set the speed, I picked the direction.

Kato only free runs with the bike now. He just doesn't like being attached to it at all. Sanka can't run with the bike anymore, too fast a pace for him even at the slowest speed. Sanka was by far the most fun since he would pull like nuts, and I wouldn't even have to pedal.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 2:54pm PST 
Oh he can and will go all day long. A 30 minute off lead hike doesn't exhaust him physically, it just gives him enough mental stimulation for a while (it helps that he has a great off switch in the house and knows how to settle). 30 minutes is the bare minimum on days when I don't have time to do more. If I exhaust him physically but haven't worked his mind, as soon as he recovers the energy, he'll want to go out again. Point being, as Gus said, it's important not to overlook the mental side of exercising a dog because it can actually have longer lasting effects and many breeds need to work their minds to really be satisfied.

The point about building the animal's stamina is a good one. I saw a Q&A on a weighted vest where the owner of a GSD wanted a way to tire out the dog so it would behave better and was hoping the weights were a good solution. The answer was basically it'll work at first, but you'll eventually create a dog that needs tons of exercise because it'll be in really good condition. Exercise definitely needs to be paired with appropriate training and not just used as a cure-all.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2