GO!

I'm pretty sure this is NOT how to bike with your do--thoughts?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 6:38pm PST 
So I see this guy and girl today biking with their dogs while I was out gardening. Both are holding the leashes in their hand, both are attached to dogs' collars, no harness . . . . (I've always heard you should attach to a harness to avoid neck, spinal injuries that could happen with the extra torque if anything should go awry in biking.)

The guy yells out to the girl, "You need to go faster, he's not running--he needs to run!" The dog was trotting, but she sped up and got him into a lope.

I saw them pass by me twice as I was out there, still running in a matter of 30 minutes. One of the dogs was a bit overweight. At some point they changed dogs out and the guy had a springer spaniel on a prong collar! eek The springer was pulling to the side and he was tugging on the lead and talking sharply, "Quit pulling!"

I wanted to stop them and ask exactly what they were training for and if they were keeping a training log of their mileage . .. . .

I don't have a lot of experience with dog biking, but I thought it was ideal to let them trot at their own pace, . . .. running certainly looked like an unbalanced way for the dog to train--I don't think it's natural for a dog to sprint for very long in a straight line at any rate. . .shrug I could see even some running, but this guy seemed to be of a mind that they MUST run the whole time . ..

But worse, I suspect a task master like this guy probably doesn't have a good handle on dog physiology and has some mistaken ideas about how far and how soon is o.k. to push his dogs . ...

It's one thing to push yourself in any cavalier or grueling manner you choose, but it makes me cringe when I see people who aren't extremely cautious and thoughtful in exercising their dogs, when they choose a form like biking where they aren't working hard and feeling what the dog is feeling.

Edited by author Sun Oct 20, '13 6:40pm PST

[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 10:16am PST 
Cesar Millan does that on TV all the time. The dog is on what-ever collar it usually wears or that CM choke leash and runs on concrete and the people just smile and talk how fine they go.

When I have Alva along with biking she should trot most of the time and avoid concrete surfaces. So she trots on my right side. Sometimes I allow her to run faster on non-concrete roads because she likes it. If I asked her, we would lope the first 200 meters.

I've used (wide) collar and the leash is in my hand, I admit that. Alva is usually a very steady dog and I trust her. We also run slowly because I want to keep her trotting and thus it is easier to avoid risky situations. I should practice more my 'drop the leash in case of emergency' (I don't fear that Alva would run anywhere far from me). I just spotted a cheap dog-biking device and if I buy it I intend to use Y shaped harness.

Alva also knows husky harness and that she should pull in it but I've applied it on bike only once when I did a test run. But it seems I cannot do it any more.

When I started biking with her I trained her where she should be while bike moves and also direction commands (left, right, slower, faster, stop) and I am extra aware when passing other dogs because Alva likes them a bit too much. Before biking I walk her so she will pee and warms up. I do that also after biking.
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 MBDCh- FM TF3

Take That!

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 11:29am PST 
Im not past biking a dog on leash next to me but usually Ive used a harness. In the very beginning I did this with Ninja and Riley but quickly stopped with with Ninja. He runs very hard and races the bike so i was worried about safety. Running on asfault or concrete can be very stressful on joints. Also running on leash like that can create a un natural way of movement on the dog, instead of "free running" where the dog is running naturally and free and has control of their body and is comfortable. with Ninja i now only run him off leash at a safe of leash area and it is on grass/dirt. he can run hard but safely. I will occasionally bike Riley on leash but she is much slower and cautious and wont run, just a steady trot and we dont go too long because of her age. All in all it sounds like these people are pushing their dogs too hard too fast and each dog should be taken into individual consideration.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 2:12pm PST 
My guess would be that their dogs are more energetic than they'd like at home, so they're trying to run the bad behavior out of them. Not that I'm opposed to a dog getting plenty of exercise, obviously, but it does sound as though they're doing too much too fast. I've actually seen/heard about quite a few people using a prong for biking. I suppose it seems like a cheaper, easier solution to a dog pulling a bike over than something like a Springer.

Like the others, I try to avoid biking with my dog on concrete, and I let him free run as much as possible. There's a nice dirt trail I like to use where he can be off lead and go at his own pace, but it's a 15 minute drive to get there, so I do take short rides on the road with the Springer with Onyx on a harness. Plus we're going to do the AD once Onyx has healed and gotten back into long distance running condition, so he does need to be able to run next to the bike.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 3:30pm PST 
I don't bike regularly with my two at all, but the few times I have I've chose places that I can allow Ty to be off lead completely so he can follow along at his pace. Unfortunately with Missy I've only biked once with her. Because she has to stay on lead ( yes I used a regular collar & lead ), I didn't feel comfortable that she couldn't go at her own pace. Regardless of what collar & lead you're using, another important thing is to build your dog up for the exercise which most likely the couple you saw hadn't done and were just expecting their dogs to keep pace. I naively went out with Ty the first time and even off lead he struggled to keep up and by the end of it I felt really guilty as it was clear he had had enough. Ty's litter brother goes bike riding with his owner regularly and it's always fast enough that Scooby has to run alongside, although he never appears to be struggling. I'm sure he's conditioned to the exercise and can come off lead once he reaches the fields. But still, biking on the roads with dogs does make me a little uncomfortable. I would much rather my dog be able to pace itself off lead.
[notify]
River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 4:24pm PST 
I have taken several dogs biking, and I am a runner - always with a dog at my side. I agree that it's best for dogs to run at a "trot" versus an actual run. Sure, they can sprint but only for short distances. You also have to be aware of the dog's paws. If they are not used to running on hard surfaces, they can wear through their pads in a few minutes while running next to a bike.

It's great that the man and woman were out biking their dogs together. I'm willing to bet the dogs loved it! There are plenty of dogs cooped up in the house all day that never get to get out and run. At the same time, safety is important. Let's hope they weren't working their dogs too hard. That would be miserable for the dogs, having no choice but to try and keep up.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 5:34pm PST 
It doesn't sound like they were being safe or sensible. I don't really think much of Cesar and I would think holding a lead on a bike would be an accident waiting to happen.

I sometimes bike with Fritz. He has an urban trail harness and a special attachment on my bike so he can be safely attached to the bike. The attachment keeps Fritz from being pulled into the bike and it keeps him from pulling me over if something surprising occurs. It also has an emergency release and a spring to make sure Fritz isn't pulled around since I am not a very good bike rider.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 6:49pm PST 
I bike with mine, I don't have an attachment so I do hold the lead, but they wear a harness and I never make them go faster than a moderate trot. In the event I get snagged or have to break suddenly, its more or less an immediate reaction to drop the lead- I would never intentionally bring one of my dogs down with me just for the sake of keeping hold of them confused
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 8:29pm PST 
Mulder, your dogs are more highly trained then most. Fritz does pretty well on a leash but I can't swear that if he sees a cat or rabbit that he won't jerk hard trying to get to them and if he got loose, I would have a hard time getting him back until he got tired of exploring.

I can see that someone with well trained dogs like yours could be safe holding a lead, but I doubt the people described, or a lot of dog owners for that matter, could bike safely in this way.
[notify]
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 6:48am PST 
I've always biked my dogs, as all have been high energy working breeds. Have never used a springer or anything of the sort just held the leashes. I personally feel much safer that way, you can work on their training and I would absolutely let go if something were to happen. Which did once. But I understand Fritz's point. Not sure if you can use the attachments for two dogs though? I'll bike 2 at a time holding leashes. I much prefer the woods or beach; but in San Diego I used to bike my BC mix down the roads to the dog park, run around then bike back home. Here Sasha and I mix it up, sometimes in our woods off leash, sometimes down the nice flat road where I alternate letting her pull with the harness or just trot next to me. She loves it!! dog walk

I do feel bad for those two though, hopefully they were ok. In Washington where i'm from there weren't many laws on our beach, you could drive anywhere. I used to see people ALL THE TIME drive out to the beach, dump their dog out the car, then drive away for the dog to chase frown I felt so bad for the poor dogs! 95% of them clearly were not enjoying themselves, and the owners in the car did not pace themselves at all just made the dogs run themselves to death. Dog I wanted to yell at these people so bad silenced
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2