GO!

Hello, everyone first post on here ! Recall with northern breeds and independent dogs??

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 12:57pm PST 
I like the check-in method too. With Lacey on a long line, you reward her everytime she looks at you/heads your way. You don't need to call her or say anything to her, just let her do it naturally. As she progresses with checking in on you you can start attaching a word to the behaviour, ideally something you haven't used before that she associates with running off. Sounds like whatever you do though you're going to have to be very patient and consistent.

As for a shock collar, I can't see how that would work when Lacey has no idea what you require of her. She wouldn't understand what she's being shocked for, surely?
[notify]
Bello

Herr Bello ist- nicht ein- Mensch!

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 1:16pm PST 
I think the going to new places is defintiley a good idea, mainly because if you go to enough good places, well then they will -slightly- lose their allure and she won't be as bad. Proof, proof, proof. It sounds like you have done a lot of the right things, and Bello was a tad bit like your girl in that as soon as the leash came off, he stopped caring. I once went to a pet store and they love to ask if I need help (and to be obnoxious because I get sick of being asked 8 billion times), I asked them what the best treats they had "that dogs go crazy for for teaching a dog to come when called." They took this to mean, "I want training advice." And proceeded to tell me to put him on a leash, ask him to come, and then drag him to me. To teach him to come. I laughed, I always laugh when I think about it. That might work for some dogs, but this dog isn't stupid. When that leash comes off, he knew I couldn't do anything too him. Luckily, he sticks around and doesn't take off running.

I think someone sort of suggested it, but make it so that she can't instantly slip out the door if someone leaves it cracked, put up a baby gate to keep her away from the door so she has to get past the baby gate and the door. For coming when called when she escapes, I have a feeling you will be fighting a losing battle. My Nana has a husky/lab/GSD/chow mix and for the longest time they thought he didn't know how to come when called (different scenerio from you) because he would run and dash away from them when outside. Turns out that was an "only when I shove through the door and escape" thing. If he is purposely let out, he comes when called like a champ, when he escapes? No chance in hell. He knows that he is just going to be caught and put back in the house. He is more handler oriented then your dog (sounds like), but for us to get him back in the house, we just walk back into the house and leave the door open. We aren't chasing him, he gets bored with in a few minutes and walks back in the house. Once he is inside we shut the door. So that's just to say, when it comes to getting out of the house, you might not ever convince her coming is worth it. Management would be the big thing there, making it really difficult to dash out. Teaching her to wait at the door anytime you exit or leave. Sometimes she gets to go with you, sometimes she doesn't, and hopefully she'll learn to like gambling, and that by waiting "this might be the time" she gets to go.
[notify]
Lacey

the duck

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 5:02pm PST 
you're all awesome !
seriously go all of you ! cheer
I'm going to take that "become a gateway" super seriously. I've never thought of it like that. I'll try some new locations with her, I'm also going to try and just abandon the word come all together, it must be background noise at this point. I'm going to either pick a new word or even a whistle and start from square one and take a lot of the advice given here.

Now I just have to blow up and frame a huge sign at the front door that says PLEASE CLOSE ALL DOORS BEHIND YOU
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 9:42pm PST 
Definitely change your recall word. At this point it probably doesn't mean anything to her anyways. I would start fresh and would only use that new recall word when you are 100% sure that she will come to you.

As for training a whistle recall, specifically the Pamela Dennison method, I've heard very good things about that. smile A friend's two huskies were trained to be reliable off-leash with that particular method.
[notify]
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 12:13am PST 
Shadow is a bit mentally deficient and I had a person 'accidently' leave a door unlatched. She got out and I ended up outside in my socks, in the dark, with my heart in my throat watching her get closer and closer to a very busy road, praying for a miracle. I got it, she came right to me but I put a spring on the door the next day to force it shut.
You could also try a weighted pulley, we had one on our cottage door when I was a kid. They work beautifully and are cheap and easy to install.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 6:22am PST 
Good luck!

You should also know that you don't always have to call the dog to you. You can use other words/phrases to get the dog to move in a certain direction you want too.

I use "this way" a lot to get the dogs to change directions and walk in the same direction as me. They don't have to come to me, just head in the direction I'm going.

Whatever works best for you!
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 7:43am PST 
Very true, Sanka. I use "lets go back" or "this way" a lot on our walks too. Simply means we're going home or changing direction.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2