GO!

Koorazh is going to sleep all summer?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 10:56am PST 
We have dew points in the 70s and now the temperature is hotting up to the upper 90s on top of it, giving us heat index well over 100.

Koorazh's plan is to sleep all summer on the cool marble tile of the entryway. Seriously. That is all he is doing. He doesn't want to be outside, he doesn't want to go for a walk, he doesn't want to chase a ball. Neither do I, to tell the truth.

He is nine years old and so a senior dog. Anything wrong with just letting him hang out until it gets cool and dry enough for outside fun? I am feeling guilty about not walking him.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 6:47pm PST 
I'm going through the same exact thing with Kali. We only have air-conditioning in the bedroom. She won't come out. I have to drag her outside to go to the bathroom. Then she runs over me to get back in the bedroom. laugh out loud I was really worried, but this is only temporary. Koby on the other hand, I have to make sure he doesn't over heat. All he wants to do is chase his big blue Jolly Ball.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 7:27pm PST 
Mika and Kai are doing the same as well, running for the air conditioning and sleeping the day away. I think even for Kai who used to be like Koby, two close calls with overheating and not feeling well were enough. I'm sure things will get back to normal when the weather cools down.
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 6:59am PST 
Well, my 2 try their darnedest to enjoy themselves outside, but the heat is really kicking their butts. Sanka is so determined that I have to stop him before he kills himself from overheating. Seriously, he won't stop until his legs just collapse right under him.

But once contained, he just snoozes away. When it's cooler out, he'll complain about lack of activity. But with the heat, he's quite content.
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 8:42am PST 
We currently have temps in the 90's with heat indices in the low 100's. Daisy Mae is a 3 year old pug and is perfectly content to spend the days snoring away in the A/C. She does not like to eat on these days until way later than normal, like 4 or 5 hours later than normal, even though she is in the house where it is 72. Last year when it was this warm she wanted to go outside a couple times to lay in the sun in the 90+ temps. Silly dogs!
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 3:42pm PST 
Thanks, good to hear. In years past I would drag him out for walks that neither one of us enjoyed . . .but it sounds like his reaction is typical and I guess I'll let him set the pace.
[notify]
Hunter, HI

I Heard You

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 5:43pm PST 
Hunter is the exact same way! Jeff, too. We try to do hearding in the mornings, though. We are currently in the upper 80’s.
[notify]