GO!

Barking!!!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
DaVinci

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 7:24pm PST 
i have read some training tips and am gonna try a combination of toys in yard more exercise and possibly a humane anti barking device if no luck on the other stuff. Also will teach him to speak and then work towards quiet speaking and then total silence. i will keep you all posted so long as u check back into thread every so often.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 7:29pm PST 
Total silence???? Is there such a thing when you own a dog? laugh out loud
[notify]
DaVinci

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:33pm PST 
i read a bunch of dog traing tips on the web some believe it to be possible to train your dog to speak then speak quiet and then even complete silence
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:52am PST 
I don't believe it to be true, I know it. In the line of work I just recently retired from a barking dog could be very, very bad. Their are times when you just don't want people to know you are there. I probably have more years working with dogs then you have walking. I have raised and fostered hundreds of dogs so please believe me when I tell you that dogs can be taught not to bark. But it takes WORK! My brain damaged pup learned Speak and Quiet in a few days so is there some reason you think your dog can't? I have also taught dogs to wipe their feet and faces, ring the doorbell when they want in and I taught a Sheltie to stop wagging his tail on command, that's about the equivalent of teaching him to stop breathing. What your dog learns is limited by you, not him.
[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 1:04am PST 
You should teach your dog to bark on command. The “speak” command goes a long way. Never treat a dog roughly. I’m glad he loves you. Good luck with the smacking. I’m sure he’ll still love you even after a good beating. I know children still love their parents after they are hit. Smacking a dog is never appropriate. There is a huge difference between love and respect.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 6:37am PST 
While I can see some jobs that require silence . .. I imagine guide dogs sitting through an opera would be such a situation . ..

If your pup is for protecting the family, some amount of alert barking, like when there's a suspicious person outside your house at 3 am is a good thing. In that situation, a few alarm barks should be allowed and then use your quiet command, hopefully while checking on the alert, "that's enough" or whatever you decide to use.

While being awoken in the wee hours can be annoying, it certainly makes me feel more protected knowing my dogs would never let someone trying to get into the house go unnoticed and let me sleep through it. And also gives most intruders pause about proceeding.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 6:59am PST 
So wait...

You got this dog to guard your family...

But you want him to remain silent? I'm confused...
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 8:04am PST 
He is talking about teaching a dog to stop barking not never bark. Seems to think it isn't possibly.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 8:29am PST 
I taught Roman "No Bark". When I hear him growl I say "No Bark" and distract him. The most he's ever gotten off is 1 bark and that's usually when I don't hear him growling. There are a lot kids running around here and a lot of dogs, he doesn't bark at the kids which is a blessing for now, but I foresee it being a problem in the future because the kids that like to run around like to tease him through the window... which I usually give them crap for and spoken to their parents many times (It's a case of less than substantial parenting where I live). As for the dogs, that I can't help and can only train him not to bark at them. It's a work in progress. smile

It helps that I'm with him 24/7 too, so I have the time to train out the unwanted habits.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:45pm PST 
"train your dog to speak then speak quiet and then even complete silence" That's what gave me the impression no barking at all.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3