GO!

Would a wolfdog at a dog park be a cause for concern?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 7:32am PST 
German "Shepherd".
>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for pointing that out. Totally not necessary, but I understand some people get upset if you misspell a breed.

I was once tempted to obtain a wolf dog mix, low content. Not because I wanted a bad ass dog or anything like that, but because I personally knew both the mother dog and the father. Both dogs have very good temperaments and are really healthy. I want a dog that will be good in the backcounty in the winter and summer. The puppies where gorgeous. They where Husky, akita and wolf. They were mostly husky. The dad is a akita/husky cross and the mom is a husky/wolf cross. I have admired the akita mix for years. This is the most stable, gorgeous awesome dog I have ever met. The female is a little wild, but approachable and friendly. These dogs are doing what I want my next dog to do, snowboard with me. Milton does not completely fit in my lifestyle and he is getting older every year.

I really don't believe in buying any breeds of dogs from any breeder considering how many dogs are in shelters and being killed because they don't have homes. It would of been awesome to have one of those puppies, but I can't have another dog and it's against my ethics to buy from a breeder. I look at Malamute rescues all the time and wish I could adopt one. Yes, some of them look very wolfy.

I look on craigslist even through I can't get another dog. There are huskys on there right now.

I agree that it's wrong to keep a wolf captive and use it to breed wolf hybrids. I don't think these dogs are as dangerous or unstable as some people think. I have met the ones that do have the right amount of exercise, socialization and the right handlers. I have seen the bad side too. They are super popular out here. So are huskys and malamutes. I seen people fail at those breeds too.

i don't think many people have actually met a wolf hybrid or personally know any. Again I never seen one in person until I moved out west.

I have met many crazy unpredictable and dangerous completely domestic dogs. i base my opinions on dogs on their behavior and not genetic makeup.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 7:33am PST 
Update: I talked to two people at the park today who had direct dealings with the owner of the wolfdog. One said he witnessed the dog pick up a small dog and carry it for a ways in his mouth, which freaked out the little dog's owners and they left.

The other said he was taking a video of his dog playing near the wolfdog, when the owner got very upset and threatened to call the police for him trying to video her dog, being a law student he told her she can't expect that kind of privacy in a public park and the police would not be interested. . . . he described her as being very dramatic over a lot of minor things in the park besides that incident.

They both said they had witnessed her hitting the wolfdog pretty hard on the rump with a leash, enough that he had a pretty vocal cry in response.

So sounds like she's not a very great or responsible owner . . . .
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 7:46am PST 
That would totally freak me out if a big dog grabbed my little dog and carried him away. I would attack.

I had an akita do almost the same thing to my dog. Except he shook my dog around and was on a flexi lead. This particular dog is 20 times more dangerous and aggressive than any of the wolf dogs I know. Thankfully my dog was wearing his coat and the dog did not make contact with his body. Another time my dog was tackled by a crazy ass Labrador. Recently a large mutt in my building on a flexi lead tried to grab Milton from my arms while growling. I kicked that dog hard and he finally retreated.

Small dog handlers need to watch out because some larger dogs of any breed do not see them as other dogs.

This is probably not going to be good for the wolf dog. Being calm is important with any dog. All dogs need exercise and socialization outside the dog park.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 7:55am PST 
Here again, STUPID decision to bring this animal to the park.

Doesn't need to be there anymore. Not just for carrying off a little dog, ANY dog who did that shouldn't be there, but AGAIN because A) no vaccines means highly likely to be euthanize if an event should occur B) due to their reaction about being filmed, high wager its not legal to own the hybrid in your area.

These people are just asking for drama.

I've met more than my share of hybrids. I spent a good many years of my life living next to a man who bred them. High contents are NOT pets, do NOT need to be owned by the general public, and I simply do not care what those certain individuals who feel this burning desire to own a wild animal think big grin
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 8:25am PST 
Sounds like a recipe for disaster, Gus. It's really a shame that Wilbur's mum and the other woofer owners on wolfdog forum couldn't convince her to give the poor beast up. frown He needs a better owner than that.
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 11:15pm PST 
Just to fuel the fire....
I found this on a Wolf hybrid site. Laws by state regarding Wolf or wolf hybrids.
This may be why she doesn't want pictures. She has an illegal pet...

KENTUCKY

"Pursuant to KRS 150.183 and 301 KAR 2:081, wolves cannot be imported, transported, possessed or sold, except for certain educational, scientific, or research purposes approved by the commissioner."
KRS Chap. 65, ยง 3 reads: "(1) A county, city, urban-county, or charter county may regulate or prohibit the holding of wildlife that have been identified by the Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources as inherently dangerous to human health and safety. (1) The department has declared the following species of wildlife to be inherently dangerous to human health and safety and shall establish procedures for denying a transportation permit for said wildlife ... wolf or wolf hybrids over 25% wolf." This law took effect in July 1998.
Informally, it was explained that it is basically up to the local government, not the DFWR, to decide if they will allow or prohibit possession of such animals within their jurisdiction but if a person applied for a permit to import a wolf or wolf hybrid into an illegal county or municipality, DFWR would deny the permit.

Print the Facebook page before the dope wises up and deletes or hides it.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5