GO!

How reliable - house breaking.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 7:10am PST 
Last night, a friends little boy gave Charlie some of the skin off his greasy chicken we had for dinner. Normally, Charlie's stomach is like iron - he TYPICALLY handles anything and everything, without stomach upset, without gas, without runs, or vomiting. He digests food of any sort like it's nothing. Typically.

This chicken skin? Not so much this time around.

5 am, I get woken up by my dog landing promptly upon my legs while I was sleeping - he had jumped on the bed. On instinct, I kicked him off. But he was freaking out. Stress signals, and in an absolute panic, shaking, and when I kicked him out of bed, he rounded up to the head of my bed instead and began clawing at me and trying to nudge me up. Knowing SOMETHING was wrong and that it was probably a bathroom emergency, I immediately threw my robe on and rushed him out the door.

Just in time for runs that were like water. Everywhere.

So, I'm up with him for about an hour, and I'm thinking, "As much as I'm cranky for having been woken up, and as exhausted as I am... I'm so grateful he was so persistent in getting me out of bed so he wouldn't have an accident in the house."

So, 6 am rolls around, and I let him back in the house, it's raining by that point, and we go back to bed. But this time, he's got an upset tummy and is rather clingy, not wanting to be alone, so I pulled his dog bed into the room and put it beside the bed and he finally settled and went to sleep.

For an hour.

Once again, this time at 7, he went into a flying panic and woke me up to let him out. I got up as fast as I could with my growing belly and for being so tired, and went to rush him out, only to hear him spray my kitchen before I could reach the front door. Ugh. So, I continue to rush him out and he races out as quick as he can, hoping not to get in trouble and to get it on the grass instead of in the house like a good boy, while I go about the clean up process of my kitchen floor.

Sigh.

I have to be honest, I LOVE how reliable he's gotten for letting me know when he NEEDS out NOW, but ugh, why this and why now? So tired.

How reliable is your dog for letting you know when they need out?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 9:17am PST 
When I first got Fenrir, I would crate him in my room at night and when I wasn't home. He got into the habit of waking up every morning and whining just because he was awake and wanted out of the crate. So in response, I got into the habit of lying there, pretending to be asleep until he stopped whining for a few minutes.

Last summer I was up in WA visiting relatives for a few weeks with Onyx. He woke me up whining in the middle of the night. The only time he whines when I'm sleeping is if he really, really needs out. But I'd trained myself so well to ignore whining that in my half asleep state, I ignored him. For like 4 hours. He kept whining and whining and whining, and I kept ignoring him and falling back asleep. Finally it dawned on me that this dog doesn't wake me up for no reason. Rushed him outside where it became quite apparent that he did indeed have unpleasant intestinal upset.

I felt so bad for ignoring him for half the night and so grateful that he'd managed not to create a horrible mess in my grandparent's house, despite my boneheadedness. I've gotten much better about remembering that with this dog whining in the night is not to be ignored!
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 9:36am PST 
Nick is very reliable, but he needs to be more demanding when it's an emergency. A few years ago he got diarrhea in the middle of the night when we were on vacation. He was whining and yipping in his crate but it was a very quiet even though it was urgent and he needed out NOW. It was like the equivalent of a little kid poking you to wake you up. If I wasn't sleeping on the couch 10 feet away from him I never would have woken up. He made it out the front door and exploded everywhere. I stayed up the rest of the night so I could take him out when he needed it.

Edited by author Fri Jun 7, '13 9:39am PST

[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 12:50pm PST 
Thank goodness for laminate wink

Buddy I don't classify as house trained since he will go in the house if given the chance, and he marks if I don't watch him. He is just one of those dirty dogs, likely as a result of his living conditions as a young dog. Training wasn't effective so now we just prevent.
Shadow is really good and will resort to nipping if I am inattentive.
Sabi has fits if she even vomits in the house, the few times she has had mishaps she turns into a cowering, contrite mess. I don't know why, she has never been punished for it but I know if she can she will open the door to get out.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 1:31pm PST 
Like I've said before, Moose is a very difficult dog to train. Just stubborn and pig headed. But, for whatever reason, potty training went gorgeously.
I knew he picked up on it for good when he was about 10 months old and he had some intestinal thing going on and he woke me up 3 separate times in the middle of the night to be let out.
He stood at the foot of the bed staring at me and whining.

Since then he's done the same thing a few times to be let out in the middle of the night if his bladder is full. Makes me super happy.

When he was about 4 months old, I had him at a neighbors and all the dogs were playing in the neighbors backyard. I look over to see Moose standing at their kitchen door, looking to be let into the house. At first I thought he was done playing, but I knew he was having too much fun and then it dawned on me. Moose had no idea that he was allowed to pee/poop in their backyard. He was potty trained by me taking him by leash out front (my backyard isn't dog friendly) so he thought he had to leave their backyard and go out front to do his business. Poor guy.
I lead him up to the back of their backyard and encouraged him to go potty, which he did, but he wasn't sure that it was ok. So, when he had to go poop, he tried to hide and do his business.
After about an hour or two of being back there, he realized it was ok to go back there.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 2:37pm PST 
For a Dachshund, and considering how difficult it was to train her initially, Lupi is extremely reliable. She hasn't had an "accident" in over 4 years, and even then it was due to sickness and she was alone at home.

When I realized just how ingrained it was in her to go outside was when she was about a year old. We were traveling in the U.S. and staying in a motel. From the carpet stains, it was obvious other dogs hadn't been so particular. To this day I don't know what caused her illness, but Lupi got extremely sick. There was blood in both her vomit and diarrhea. And of course it was a long weekend and I couldn't find a vet open. Anyway, we were packing up to leave and she was whining at the door (this was at the very start of her sickness, before I knew she was sick) and I ignored her. We were staying on the second floor, so I didn't want to just let her out. I wanted to finish packing and make only one trip downstairs. She kept whining and sitting by the door, and when I finally opened it she tore outside, flew downstairs and made it to a bush before exploding.

When we finally got her into a vet they kept her overnight, giving fluids intravenously. I picked her up the next afternoon and carried her to the car. As soon as we got in the car she started panicking and scratching at the window. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on, so I let her outside and she peed for about 2 solid minutes. That's when I realized she hadn't relieved herself for almost 20 hours, while being contained in a kennel at the vet's.

It took 6 months to housetrain her, but she is definitely reliable now! She even asks to go outside during training classes, where most dogs don't mind going indoors.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 7:07pm PST 
Oz, the nearing 10 year old beagle, has NEVER once had an "accident" in the house - aside from his near weekly bile vomit. Aside from Rig's "submissive" bladder issues...since living in the apartment, all 3 have been extremely reliable.

When Rig caught a cooked bone from the so-and-so upstairs (see other thread about the neighbours), she whined and pawed until she woke me up each time she needed to go out. Not once have I picked up feces in this apartment *knock on wood* and not once have I had to clean urine off the carpet - aside from someone over stimulating Rigby. Which, as much as it annoyed me at the time, I am entirely grateful for! As you are as well! Glad Charlie woke you up!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 10:18pm PST 
On the days where I haven't had time to walk Jackson, I am often awoken at 3am by high pitched whining at the bedroom door (last night it happened and I was exhausted, sigh). He won't go to the toilet on days he's left in the yard, thinking I'm going to come home any minute and saving it for marking instead for the walk he thinks is coming. I had been gone for twelve hours yesterday and he was DESPERATE by the early morning. I'm glad he tells me, he's smart l enough to know soiling the house is a big fat no, but wish he would just do it in the yard instead of hoping I'm coming home. It's very annoying. naughty
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 9:30am PST 
So sorry that you are feeling so exhausted. Unfortunately that is pretty normal in your circumstances.hughughugwishes

cheercheercheer For Charlie though. Mika and Kai are both extremely well potty trained they also know that I am the one that will get up to let them out most likely. D.H. sleeps like a rock once he is out and the pups learned that early. I get woken up by either having my feet or face licked by one of them anytime they need to go. If they can wait they will but if they really need to go they aren't going to give me peace until they get out. I haven't cleaned up an accident since about 2 weeks after we got Kai. Mine will also throw-up only when outside and will ask to go if they have an upset tummy.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 11:24am PST 
My poor Charlie is still having some digestive upset. I'm thinking about grabbing a can of pumpkin at the store today. Thinking that because he seemed to appear better yesterday, I gave him some pieces of a plain cooked hot dog, thinking nothing of it. I shouldn't have been giving him anything else to further upset his tummy, and I did without thinking. I feel TERRIBLE. He once again had the runs, and was just acting really weird for a while. I managed to perk him up by taking him outside and keeping him secluded from my baby shower guests. I began fasting yesterday and will fast him for a majority of today too. He woke me up, again, at 5:30 am by jumping on the bed, needing out again. If it continues for more than another day, I'm going to take him in, but for now, I assume it's my fault from the added human food. My poor puppy. He's still drinking lots of water though, keeping hydrated, and otherwise, back to normal. Just his tummy that isn't. frown

I can't help but be glad for dogs that are so reliable in the house! Maya was too until she couldn't anymore. My foster dog was surprisingly amazing with it considering all his other issues.

I can't help but feel bad for our puppies when they get digestive problems and there's not much we can do about it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2