GO!

Why don't people like controlling their dogs...?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 4:01pm PST 
I understand...we are surrounded by "armchair Parents." Same Idea. People with children they "parent" from the armchair.

Our next door neighbor was sitting on her front porch while her child had a rock... pounding out a huge chunk of sidewalk in front of our house. I heard the pounding and hubby went out...with a broom...and stood there til the kid cleaned up his mess. The mom just sat there and said, "I told him to stop but he wouldn't listen."

I wanted to say, "It helps if you get off your a$$ and involve yourself in "active" parenting."

We now have a permanent chunk of our sidewalk missing...Grrr
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 6:30pm PST 
I think those kind of people are completely in denial and stupid. When we had our Golden a few years back, I was in my yard gardening, and he was on our porch snoozing. My daughter, who at the time was 5, was sitting there snuggling with him. The next thing I knew, there was a very large German Shepherd that came running around the corner, jumped on the porch and tried to grab my daughter. I was horrified. Before I could do anything, our Golden, who loved everybody, jumped up and completely flattened the German Shepherd before he could touch my daughter with one whisker. He pinned him down on the porch so I grabbed my daughter. Then the stupid owner came running over and grabbed his dog. He apologized and said this had never happened before that they just moved there. I told him to confine his dog, find a good trainer and not ever let it happen again. I was really mad, but believed him. Don't you know, a few days later I was gardening again and had the same scenario, my daughter on the porch with our Golden. That dumb @$$ dog came running over again. This time I saw it coming and screamed at him and threw a bucket of water on his head just as our Golden flattened him again. I let the owner have it with both barrels and my husband threatened to shoot his dog if he ever even saw him again any where near us. We both made such a big scene that all our neighbors came running out to see the crazy people making a spectacle of themselves. That dog went after my daughter twice. Come to find out, the next week, the dog attacked an older lady that was on the board of the association in the development we lived in. Needless to say, that dog was put down and I found out, that he attacked many people and many dogs. What's wrong with dumb people in denial. Koby has/had a real problem with aggression with people, but I am working with a great trainer and he is muzzled in public and is never loose. How hard is that?! naughty
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 9:27pm PST 
I must be lucky, as so far, I've had very very few encounters with problem dogs. Only twice, and both were at a dog park and both involved my moms Rottweilers. Charlie has never had a bad encounter, really, and neither has Ria.

However, I did have two toy-aggressive Rottweiler mixes jump my moms Rottweiler, Regan(who was COMPLETELY chill about everything) when she simply went to greet them at an off leash park. One dog growled and then the second jumped her and I suddenly had TWO MASSIVE dogs on top of mine, and the owners just stood there watching while I attempted to pull them off my dog. Regan was shaken, but fine, and the two dogs walked off as soon as I pulled them away from her. The owners kept walking, while saying "It wasn't OUR dogs fault." BULL. Grr...

Second was with my moms male Rottweiler, Grizz, who was only about nine months old at the time. He LOVED every dog, was very very good with doggy etiquette and behaved fantastically at the park. Unfortunately, a Husky spotted him, bolted ACROSS THE FIELD away from his owners who just stood where they were chatting it up with some other friends of theirs, was MINIMUM a 100 yards away from said owners, and he instantly began posturing and growling with his teeth showing to Grizz. I clipped Grizz's leash back on, put myself in between to body block the dog who could care less about me, while Grizz tried EVERY appeasement gesture a dog could possibly make to get this other dog to leave him be. The Husky kept at it, so I kept backing up Grizz with me in between the dog and eventually the Husky gave up and took off to go harass someone else's dog. I took Grizz home to let him cool off.

I DESPISE people who DON'T control their dogs or make any effort to do so.

I'm appalled that both owners stood around in those instances and that the Pit Bull owner just allowed it to run up to a MOVING CAR. WTF. Does she not care if her dog is HIT and KILLED? Ugh... Some people should not own dogs. Plain and simple.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 11:11pm PST 
Settle down Charlie, laugh out loud, I'll try to control my dogs I promiselaugh out loud
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 3:49am PST 
I had one other time I took Kali to the dog park. There was a guy there with the biggest black Great Dane I ever saw. He wasn't neutered, Kali's spayed. He zero'ed in on Kali and grabbed her and started humping her like she was the last female on earth. I ran over to try and get him off but he was so big and so strong. Kali started screaming. The guy thought it was the funniest thing he ever saw and did nothing. I told Kali to sit and she did while I somehow managed to break his hold on her. I yelled at the guy and left. Apparently, this was common behavior when they came to the park. If I saw his car there, i would not take Kali. I agree some people should not be allowed to have dogs. UGH!naughty
[notify]
Lucky

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 4:41am PST 
I have the problem I have a rottti mix do and I feel like I don't have enough control with him I am definitely I'm need of some help so I don't become that lady who can't control her dog he dragged me today and I'm all hurt n bloody.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 6:42am PST 
Sabi - Control your dogs why don't ya! Sabi is such a menace! Didn't you see how badly she scared Ria! Haha laugh out loud

Lucky - You can post a new topic about it in the Behavior & Training forum, but ultimately, a trainer can go a very long way.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 1:06pm PST 
We've had people storm into our Schutzhund practices (done at public parks) and accuse us of brainwashing and mind controlling our dogs. We had someone who would wait for people to leave their cars (lay a track or to help set up) and would tease the dogs from outside the car or untie them / open their crate.

People don't like putting too much effort into anything.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2