GO!

How will Lucy tolerate another dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Lucy

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:00pm PST 
We are thinking of adopting another dog (though it may not happen at all) but Lucy has shown she does not tolerate other dogs very well. I do not know her background as she was a stray and wandered up to us one day about 5 years ago. We had another dog at the time and it took some time for Lucy to tolerate her and stop trying to dominate her and growl at her. I think Lucy doesn't have very good self esteem so it makes her unsure of other dogs. I think if we did adopt another dog it would be a puppy. Not sure what breed or anything. Is there any way at all to get Lucy used to having another dog around again and not be so unsure of them? She never tries to lunge or really try to attack other dogs or anything. She just growls and tenses up. Honestly, I think it would be good for her to have another dog around. She gets along with the cats pretty well. She's never tried to hurt them or anything. Of course, we would go through a rescue and have the dogs meet at the rescue and at our house before even thinking about adopting the dog.

What do you think? Do you think she would be able to tolerate another dog again?
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:24pm PST 
I would say you should think long and hard before you look into adopting another dog. The problem with introductions at a shelter or any area with other dogs for a dog reactive dog are obvious. If you went through a rescue at least it might be at someone's home and an easier controlled situation. Our Sophie is dog reactive on leash. Off leash she does very well. We took her to a rescue last year to meet a young bully boy. The atmosphere of dogs barking in the distance and strange people milling around was too much for her. In the end we were rejected because they felt she would attack another dog. They can surprise you though. When I brought Callie home sight unseen they became buddies immediately. If you find that special dog it could certainly work out...but it's going to take careful research on your part.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:33pm PST 
I wouldn't get a puppy. The puppy wouldn't back off when she'd growl-- he'd jump on her and probably throw her over threshold.
TBH I was scared when I brought Arkane home, Nare is scared/uneasy of very exuberant bouncy dogs, especially if they get in his face. Nare ran away from Arkane the majority of the time when we first brought him home-- and Nare loves other dogs lol. But puppies are just ~weird~. He didn't know what to do with him.

If you went the route of adopting a dog-- I'd get an older dog that wasn't really interested in Lucy. Didn't pursue her attention or glomm on her, etc.
Then Lucy wouldn't feel stressed having a dog following her or bothering her, and if she eventually got comfortable, they could interact at her pace.
[notify]

Lucy

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:54pm PST 
Yeah, I don't think I would go through a shelter (though I would love to adopt a shelter dog). It would just be better to adopt from a rescue because then we can get proper introductions and everything. I think you are right about the puppy thing. She really might get annoyed with it. I will have to discuss this with my family and go from there. Thanks so much!
[notify]