GO!

For the Fear of Dogs...? How do you handle people afraid of your dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 43)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 11:14am PST 
The difference between your fear of loose dogs and my mum's, Tuck, is that you have every reason to be nervous when you spot them as you've had by the sounds of it, some truly horrible experiences with them. However, my mum has neither been involved in or witnessed a dog attack on any of our dogs or others for that matter. She fears the worst. But like that old saying goes "the worst might not ever happen". Also loose dogs are the norm here. So in most respects you don't see a loose dog and fear it's escaped from it's garden, or that it's out for the kill when it beelines you, or that it's owners are irresponsible and/or ignoring leash laws ( we don't have any ). So mostly you come across friendly dogs & owners and they outweigh the irresponsible dog owners in my experiences at least.

You actually reminded me of a dog we see quite regularly. I've never been able to put my finger on what kind of dog she is and have always described her as a Husky mix of some kind, but she actually resembles an Elkhound quite a bit. Although, considering their rarity i'm unsure as to how realistic it would be for her to be a mix of one. Really lovely dog and her and my Tyler always have a short play and a happy greeting whenever we bump into her. She's very vocal...always whines on approach of us in anticipation of greeting Ty.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 11:28am PST 
I don't know where you live, but Elkhounds are not a rare breed. They aren't even rare in Search and Rescue. Almost everywhere I go in our country, I commonly see at least one. I do know they are rare in France. They are not rare in England. Australia. They are uncommon in Greece, and most Mediterranean areas. They are very rare in equatorial areas, and they SHOULD be. They tend to be very dog friendly. Although I have seen the occasional dog aggressive elkhound they are rare. They are the only breed I know of where many owners keep multiple intact males unseparated/unmonitored in the same household without issues.

Although I just neutered my males for health reasons, I have regretted it since, simply because neutering them results in a forever non-stop shedding coat that is impossible to live with in a household. If you don't love the breed, don't get one and fall in love with them. The hair is intolerable

Once you have one, hair and all, you wont have anything else. Best not to get started
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 11:43am PST 
That's interesting Tuck. I've never actually met one myself and i'm in the UK, hence why i assumed they were pretty rare. But i do know of one breeder on another site and have seen the odd litter advertised on the same forum.
[notify]

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 43)  
1  2  3  4  5