GO!

Just Needed To Rant...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:46pm PST 
Charlie is driving me nuts.

I can't leave him loose anymore if he's unsupervised. At all. First it was peeing where I sit on the couch(likely due to my pregnancy stressing him out and the hormones, etc)... But now that I've started packing, his behavior has gotten worse.

I get it, he's stressed and he's bored to top it all off.

But omg.. I'm pulling my hair out.

In the past month, he has chewed SO MUCH.

First thing was a box of crackers. The box was shredded all over my living room, and the bag of crackers was left completely intact with not nary a cracker broken!

Second thing was a box of Kleenex! Shredded the box. But the tissue was still neatly folded and stacked and untouched. Wth, right? HOW?!

Then he chewed up some coasters while I was visiting with a Financial Adviser, because I wouldn't let him go and harass the man during our meeting. So he went and hid under my desk and chewed up a bunch of table coasters!

This time? Ha... He has a wicker basket dog bed. I left the house for a little bit, come home to find the basket chewed and bits of wicker EVERYWHERE. Tiny pieces, long pieces, pieces all over. Fun...

I'm going crazy.

My fiance and I both stepped it up with the walks - so I know it's not that anymore and that's been ruled out. But he IS bored and he IS stressed from the packing... And I'm going crazy and trying not to get mad at him.

GRRRR.

Overall, he's a great little dog - well behaved, quiet, etc... But lately, he's driving me up a wall.

Back to basics, eh? Rescue Remedy will continue to be put into his food, and he will be kenneled when he's not supervised. I hate kenneling him when I can't supervise, but at this point, he's not leaving much choice. It was my fiance who said, "If he was a puppy... what would you do? Go back to basics."

So... That's what I'm doing.

I can't wait to have a yard again. He really misses being able to bask out in the sun and enjoy playing outside with Ria... It won't make up for much, but it WILL help with him being cooped up in the house. He loves it outside and well, being in a townhouse complex with no yards and tons of people who hate dogs... It's hard to sit outside with him for very long. frown

I can't wait for all this to be over and done with and for the stress of my frustrating, upset little dog to dissipate.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 10:33pm PST 
hughughughughug

I know how you feel. I bought jake the cutest wicker bassinet and it lasted a whole three days. Because he decided that would be the object of his distruction before i got sweetie becuase he missed me so much. He didn't transition to being left at home again well after i had to put him out of service.

I'm sure once this is all over an you have the baby everything will be great. Stay strong!

Beagles are a finicky dog. They're very sensitive. I'm sure it'll all be okay soon.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 3:12am PST 
hughughug We all have days when we just need to ranthughughug That said, I kind of giggled when I read your descriptions of what Charlie has "accomplished" in the last little whilewink Just be glad that he doesn't eat that stuff, because Bunny has and still will!eek
[notify]

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 4:36am PST 
hughughughug

When Lenny is bored I get a taste of this kind of stuff... Lenny would've eaten all the crackers. But wow, I'm sorry to hear he's getting worse. Like Jake said, it will be over soon and he'll calm back down and you'll get your good boy back. It will get better.

Do foraging toys of any kind help? Usually if Lenny is really bored or stressed out (if my 3 other family members go out of town for a 3 day weekend for my brother's baseball team for example) than he'll be more destructive than normal but if I leave out a lot of toys that he can manipulate to get food than usually helps and crating of course when I absolutely have to.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 10:57am PST 
Treat ball. Walmart. 10 bucks. Sabi can't go for walks when it's icy so that's what I distract her with. Breakfast and dinner in the treat ball.laugh out loud
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 12:18pm PST 
Sounds like he's determined to cause trouble, but maybe mental workouts like training something new would help? Other than that, agree with the others that some toys/chews might distract him.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 12:37pm PST 
I also forgot that he even dug into my rabbits tote bin(where I keep hay, food, etc), pulled out some rabbit treats, shredded the bags they were in and ate all the rabbit treats! And he got hold of a TINY piece of chocolate bunny - I have no idea HOW or where from.

And he's ripped through the garbage in my bathroom too.

LOOK AT HIM! Doesn't he look so INNOCENT?! Jerk.

And I have NO idea why he didn't eat any of the crackers. I mean, he LIKES crackers. Maybe it's cause he was like "Nah, not worth it." but if it was the Doritos I have sitting on my kitchen table, they would be GONE.

The other day I did a homemade food dispensing toy. I took small pop bottles, cleaned them out, then filled them with their dinner and some added treats, cut a tiny hole in the side, closed up the cap and gave them each one. Charlie had it figured out in SECONDS. Ria took a bit longer - I swear, like fifteen minutes of me rolling it to SHOW her how to use it. And at one point, she kept trying to stick her tongue in the little hole and got her tongue caught in it! It was kinda funny. In the end, she discovered that if she picked it up and carried it around long enough, food would drop out. But, since they were bored prior, it did help a LITTLE. Not by much though.. I do plan to get more treat dispensing toys though. I have to get Ria and Kong, a second Busy Buddy toy, and would like to try out those treat balls from Walmart too, lol.

I HAVE tried leaving foraging toys out while I was gone or left the room before, and it doesn't really do anything, because come on - it's not as fun as the box of Kleenex, or rabbit treats!

And as for training, I'm at a loss for what else to train this dog. laugh out loud
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 2:00pm PST 
Would it be possible to take him to daycare or a friend's house with a yard?
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 5:49pm PST 
Treat balls for Lenny were too easy. I bought a Kong Wobbler though and he LOVES it and it's much harder for him to get the food out. If Charlie is as smart as he sounds, that toy might offer more of a challenge for him. Also going with the large instead of small toy also I think made a difference. The larger toy has more weight and requires more effort to manipulate, so I think it's a little more effective at tiring Lenny out than if I had got the small. He loves wrestling with that thing. Nothing keeps a beagle from their food, no surprise they're so quick to figure them out laugh out loud

Also I wanted to say I love that picture! "It will be fun they said." lol
[notify]
Tucker

I would very- much like the- ball.

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 9:01pm PST 
i feel your pain. When i brought tucker home from the pound within that week he chewed up a 50 dollar bra, a bottle of nail polish (complete with mess all over floor) and a dollar bill. He pee'd everywhere and ran away twice. hes calmed down now that he has another dog to pal around with. but man, i ready to kill him.

i tried a treat ball. Tucker couldn't figure it out and gave up. i tried a kong, but tucker was erm...to simple to figure out that one as well. lol.

Edited by author Fri Apr 19, '13 9:08pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2