GO!

Play? or Fighting? or something else?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 9:17pm PST 
So my beagle Mr. B isn't much of a player. I mean every now and again but i can count the number of times we've played inside over the last year on one hand. If that gives you an idea. of how much eh's played wiht me. But today after I got home. I happened to look over and he was puppy bowing to Caroline. She seemed genuinely intersted and so they rough housed a bit. Then jake pushed her i guess too far. She knocked him over and held him down by his muzzle.

She didn't growl or anything but she pretty much shut him down.

Is this a normal behavior between two dogs? Should I allow them to play or interact like that?

Jake wasn't hurt or anything but he did give me the saddest dejected look once it as over.

Thanks for your input.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 12:07am PST 
I personally would let it go and see what happens. I would suspect that Sweetie is just setting boundaries. It doesn't sound inappropriate but I wasn't there. Watch body language and behavior and step in if it escalates, but as well as the male/female dynamic isn't there quite an age difference here?
I'm sure someone, or everyone, will disagree but that's my two cents. He may also have hurt her accidently and she just reacted.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 12:19am PST 
Yes there is quiet the age difference. Sweetie is a senior about 10 and jake is about 5.

Usually Jake is super low key and doesn't play or anything. I mean yeah he's got energy but he'd sooner spend it running around by himself then playing with other dogs. I can seriously count the times he's played with other dogs in the last year on one hand and we were dog park regulars.

It looked like play until he pushed her then she got all wrar and literally put him down and had his muzzle in her mouth.

He hasn't tried anything since. Maybe she was just putting him in his place? thinking

I didn't even know she had it in her since usually all she does is sleep and halfway on jake and My usual mile walk she's in a wagon being pulled by me. She's not the most energetic dog. I wonder if i can blame the glucosamine for her sudden spurts of activity > laugh out loud
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 6:57am PST 
big grin Wow, I know exactly what you're saying about the playing, don't worry I think it's a very good thing actually. We had Sophie about five years before Callie. And like Jake she would play with us sometimes and retrieve balls and sticks. But playing wasn't a big thing for her either.

But from the first moments I brought Callie into our yard, Sophie was ready to rock and roll with her new pal! Poor guy was still woozy from being neutered that morning and here was Sophie play bowing with a big goofy grin.

Fortunately he didn't pop anything playing that first day and they've been best buds ever since. But they do seem to establish the pack order on their own. Sophie is older and bigger, Callie is younger and stronger...but if Sophie makes a certain bark Callie instantly stops and backs away. She's held him down too. He'll be there with all four feet in the air with her paws on his chest "I WON!".

If you listen to them play regularly you can hear the difference between playing and not playing. My doggies play rough, the growls and thuds-dinosaur wrestling. But for them it's a game of tag, they take turns with who's it and take turns knocking each other over.

If you've ever been unfortunate enough to witness a serious dog fight it's completely different in pitch. And one or both dogs is obviously trying to inflict injury.
From what it sounds at your house, I think Sweetie and Jake are just having a great time snoopysnoopy

Edited by author Wed Apr 3, '13 7:02am PST

[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 11:18am PST 
Nare does this to Arkane when he bites/nips too hard. I think if anything, she was trying to disengage from the play/interaction. Nare and Ark will be playing, then Nare puts his mouth around Arks, holds him there for a sec and gets up and walks away, is done playing.

It is a learning process.. I'd leave it be unless either dog looks overly stressed, for example I know Nare doesn't like giving corrections, so if Ark is being annoying I will separate them, because Nare doesn't want to make that decision, I guess.
[notify]