GO!

Dogs and Heights

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Roxie

BOING!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:26am PST 
Roxie is wary of heights.. She will jump onto the dining table/kitchen counters/washing machine, but when she goes to jump down and notices the drop, she bottles it laugh out loud.

Trixie, ive no idea. Shes never afraid of jumping off a grooming table or walking over a bridge or whatever, so perhaps she doesn't percieve heights very well!
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 8:51am PST 
There must be some awareness of heights, since Lupi will easily jump down from low places but refuses (thankfully) to jump down from anything high enough to pose a danger to her. If she can't jump up on it herself, she won't jump down.
But I don't know that simply being high off the ground is frightening for them. Lupi has no issues with being near the edges of cliffs or other very high places and looking down.
Maybe being secured and held is enough for them to feel safe when parachuting. I would think it would be fairly easy to tell if the dog was stressed or enjoying himself.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 11:29am PST 
Yeah, sorry my post didn't make sense... Depth perception does depend on breed.

Herding breeds have better peripheral vision than most other breeds because they have to watch a lot more of a larger space and at a further distance... Therefore, up close, their sight suffers somewhat... That's what I was trying to say big laugh

So I assume height may work in the same way... I've never met a dog that looks at a cliff edge and jumps off it... But who knows shrug
[notify]

Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 2:29pm PST 
Louie has no fear of heights. Whenever he was at the vet's, he really had no issue with walking near the edge of the table and probably would have jumped his little 6-lb chihuahua self off if he felt like it. I'm glad we have a little fearless dog, but things get a little nerve-wracking when he just decides to jump off of something regardless of height because of how reckless he is about it.

Clyde on the other hand, is terrified of any heights. While on a walk, I was talking to some guys working for the county water department and Clyde jumped up onto their empty flatbed trailer to say hi to them since we were on opposite sides of the truck. When it came time for Clyde to get off, he would NOT make the 2 or 3 foot jump off the edge. In fact, he wouldn't even consider going a side route that consisted of a 2 foot drop to a platform only 1 ft off the ground. I had to look silly pull the big baby who weighs as much as me off the side because he was pretty much stuck up there.big laugh Even as a puppy, he never wanted to be on furniture because he would have had to jump off at some point.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2