GO!

Small update

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 5:11pm PST 
Haven't had as much time to post, but I did want to give a small update on Mulder and Ridley and their current state of affairs.

After eating my living room couch and destroying my desk chair (both of which occurred AFTER blowing off his recall and almost being killed in traffic), things finally came to a boiling point with Mulder. I tried tightening the reigns on him and going back to the old NILF lifestyle... which didn't really work for us, as I think Mulder was savvy to this plan and could give a crap less. Even getting a couple of agility days didn't seem to set things right, so I waited and pleaded and finally was able to get back on board with my PPD trainer, who fortunately was still training a new helper and needed dogs for him to catch. Got out there and talked to him about what was going on, and against ALL good reason and not personally wanting to go that rout unless I absolutely had to, he talked me into trying the e-collar. Got that icky gross feeling at the recommendation, and had to eat some crow on top of everything else as he pretty strictly follows Lou Castle's protocol (was actually trained by Lou himself... go figure confused ). I would probably still feel icky about things if it wasn't for the positive (kinda?) note that Mulder actually responds to just the vibration stem from the collar, and who's working stem level (when absolutely necessary) is a low 20 (out of 120 on a Dogtra).

I almost hate to admit it, but its worked for him. Took at lot... a LOT... of frustration out of the mix, and I think that's helped us both for now. I don't plan on using it long term, once things have gone back to 100% level I will just go back to maintaining as I was before things fell a apart. But for now, its nice to have my old Mulder back... not the spit-head on a rampage beating me down like twigs in a hurricane.

Ridley, too, is doing fantastic. We have stayed nearly all positive for him, and he has overcome so MANY of his former problems, I am happy to see him finally coming into his own. I had to go out of town last week and decided to board him with my old agility trainer, who keeps the dogs in communal play groups, and by all accounts... Ridley is actually PLAYING with and ENJOYING other dogs now. We've also been slowly working him up to interactions with children, and while he still remains weary in some situations, is actually accepting and seemingly appreciative of (polite) attention from them, which is HUGE for him.

He is also doing fabulous with tracking... his instructor is sure he will get his TD by fall, which is fantastic for my little man applause
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 5:44pm PST 
Ah, well...brave you for saying that big laugh I myself have yet to use one and hope never to, although I confess to having said "never" and now I don't, basically too aware of certain niches they have. Re Lou Castle, when he first showed up here, a few years ago, I was more or less on the warpath, as he does (or did) like to come on forums of all sorts and rile things up. But what I found instead was an education (from others) in my research, and much to my surprise off his stalking pattern found him on one-on-one approach to be not what I figured. He's a teacher, and since I have found a lot of people I admire learned basic ecollar stuff from him and his seminars. So I am not surprised why that's who your guy learned from and while I know he abrades, take heart that a lot of good people have learned from him.

It's good you were able to get back in with that trainer, he sounds very commonsense and a good person to have. Hopefully things stay positive tracked now and you can get back to where you were, with Ridley moving forward in the meantime as well, it sounds like applause Once you get their paths of perfection to intersect, and I am sure you will, it will be nothing but perfection way to go

Points to you for hanging in there so well!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 6:47pm PST 
I really didn't want to pursue it, because it just felt like a defeat... not to mention an anger move, as I had toyed with the idea after the first incident, though not so much in the constructive "lets fix the problem" way, so much as "I'm angry and I want you to REALLY understand that".

So the suggestion was a hard pill to swallow, but ultimately was the one that fit in this situation. I still think it would have been possible to work through this without, but I was frustrated, getting more frustrated by the minute, and we really needed something to level the tension between us. This seemed like a better solution than pulling all my hair out and burning the house down shh

Plus, he seems happier. For the first time in a LONG time he actually got up on the bed and fell asleep next to me. Hasn't done that in ages, he's been keeping more to himself. Hope that's a good sign anyway.

And my Ridley, sweet angel boy, somehow sneaking his way into the "golden child" position. He's a brat and a loudmouth, still has his problems, but he's like doing things on easy mode now. Super obedient, very fast learner, extremely biddable despite himself. If I could just get him to SHUT UP laugh out loudlaugh out loud yak yak yak, he likes to talk and is in love with the sound of his own voice. Thankfully barking doesn't destroy furniture red face
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 10:13pm PST 
Wow. I really didn't expect that but glad it worked for you. I know you will get things back on track and good for you for finding a way.
The e-collar experiment was a miserable failure here but I may still try the vibe mode for Sabi since her hearing seems to be limited to the fridge opening now.laugh out loud
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 11:25am PST 
Glad you've found something that brought Mulder back.
I understand that "icky" feeling wholeheartedly when it comes to training devices such as that, but at least you're getting the knowledge on how to use it the RIGHT way (unlike so many who simply slap the collar on and zap). And with him responding to the vibrate control, that's awesome.

I'm sure you'll be able to wean him off it so to say, relatively soon. Seems he just needed a good snap back to reality.

Thanks for the update, it's great to hear about good progress smile
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 12:49pm PST 
I too have used the e-collar when I have been at the end of my tether... And it ultimately saved Rocky's life...

I agree, that if used properly, it can be a helpful tool but way too many people misuse it...

Rocky had all of two sessions with the collar on a low vibrate and never needed it ever again.

I was a lot younger then and knew hardly anything about dogs so now, it would take a lot for me to use one...

I'm so glad you've got your Mulder back puppy Sometimes we just have to admit that we need extra help and dogs nearly always surprise is by how well they adapt to what we throw at them puppy

Long may it continue for you puppy
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 1:16pm PST 
I'm so glad he is doing better. Sometimes we just gotta do what we have to do. Sounds as though he's very happy doing his PPD class again. way to go
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 5:11pm PST 
I believe that most training tools have their place, if the person is trained properly in how to use them. Good for you for finding a solution, and not being afraid to admit it. way to go
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 12:41pm PST 
I'm glad you have your Mulder back. It was smart to recognize your frustration and good for you for being willing to take the steps to resolve it. It's clearly helping things, so good for you two! (three, since Ridley's working things out!)
[notify]