GO!

Whale Eye

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 4:38pm PST 
Clyde's got small irises. To top it off, he has a very submissive personality. The result is him constantly whale-eyeing me and others all day. In fact, his profile pic has some white being exposed and he was more calmly curious about the new camera than anything. When he is actually scared he usually goes into extreme-whale-eye mode and gets really tense. Eyes can tell a lot, but reading the rest of the body with them tells a better picture.

Strangely, most people who see Clyde think he's a puppy or a young adult and I think it's because of the eyes. Dog-loving women who see him in real life also seem to melt over his "sweet face"... again, probably because of the eyes.(Not that he isn't a sweet guy or anything)

In fact, I had a high school teacher with small irises like Clyde. Even before I had ever interacted with him, I knew his eyes just looked a bit weird based on his body language from seeing him around the school.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 7:14am PST 
Bump. I'm trying to bump things above those dumb ads that Dogster hasn't deleted yet.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 3:37pm PST 
Thanks Gus smile

Kato - I was starting to wonder if it was a herding type dog thing. Or (without being offensive to other breeds) maybe a more "intelligent" dog thing? With Cobain it almost seems like more of a thought process.
Only bringing that up as the typical lists of "intelligence" rankings put BCs in 1st or 2nd, which makes me wonder too about Poodles.

Or as Clyde mentioned, it may just be a matter of having smaller irises, which makes total sense as well.

When it comes to body language, Cobain looks pretty miserable most of the time. Slouched shoulders, tucked tail, whale eye....laugh out loud
[notify]

Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 3:49pm PST 
Gunther is absurdly expressive with his eyes, and has VERY big ones! But I can tell when he's doing true "whale eye" as opposed to his other looks. His body is also tense when he does it, but when he's just making expressive faces he's still relaxed and has a confident air about him.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 10:08pm PST 
A whale eye, as others have said, is just one little piece. It could mean nothing, it could mean a lot. Poppy is a fearful and nervous dog, but even when he's calm and relaxed, you can see the whites of his eyes. Lobo is one of the most confident dogs in the neighborhood, but sometimes you can see the whites of his eyes when he's just looking around and is otherwise relaxed. He has very round eyes, but his eyelids are more... squinty? It's like his eyes wanted to be Husky-ish, but the lids decided to go a more... Akita route. XD So even a small glance gives you some white.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 1:06am PST 
Coby, I agree when you say it's a herder thing. JT is basically the same. He's always just trying to see everything at once when we're out and about and his eyes boggle around pretty crazily sometimes. laugh out loud He is also a very smart dog, I'd say almost border collie smart.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2