GO!

Have you ever shouted at your dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 6:53am PST 
I was playing with Skipper earlier and he got a bit too excited with his teeth...

I know it's normal for puppies to use their teeth but Skip doesn't seem to ever get the message... He will bite and if I say no and turn my back on him, he jumps and bites my legs... It's sore!

If I stand up and sit on the sofa, ignoring him he jumps up for a bit (he can't get on the sofa yet) but then starts to bark...

I've resorted to putting him in time out in the downstairs bathroom as my hands and ankles are cut to shreds... He doesn't seem to get the fact that I am ignoring him...

But today we were playing with his toys and he got a bit carried away... I was sitting on the floor and he jumped up and grabbed my face! I screamed 'no' at him at the top of my lungs, mostly because of the sheer shock of it... He cut my face and it bled pretty bad...

The thing is, for about an hour after it, he acted very sheepish... He was quiet and wondered around the living room looking rather down...

I felt so bad! He is only ten weeks old, and a terrier so I know attitude is one of his quirks but I couldn't help but feel bad at how scared he looked after I shouted at him :o(

The good news is, he hasn't used his teeth on me since... Even Dexter is getting a break from the little land shark!

I guess I just want to know if anyone else has ever acted out and shouted at their dog... Maybe just to make me feel better puppy

He's cuddled up on the sofa with me now, acting as good as gold- Probably because he's sleeping lol.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 7:21am PST 
Ouch! Those little puppy nips can be painful can't they!

Unfortunately, i've shouted at mine quite a few times. Not something i like to admit really but i'm only human.

One of the things that always tests my patience is Missy's barking so she has been shouted at a number of times, which is silly really because i'm sure that only makes her think i'm shouting along with her wink but she is a terrible barker!
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 7:31am PST 
ummm... the shout was probably not a bad idea thinking You might try a squeal or 'shout' when pup is otherwise causing you pain. Tolerating this is not helping the pup learn this limit shock

Else, you could end up with wounds all over your body and a dog with no sense of when to curb the mouth.
[notify]

Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 7:45am PST 
I think when used sparingly, shouting is effective. It loses that "startle" factor if you regularly yell at your dog.

I try not to yell at Lupi, but I have shouted at her a handful of times when I needed her immediate attention. It always involved her safety, such as the time she ran out on the road. Because she's not used to me raising my voice, she responded instantly.

I wouldn't feel bad about shouting at your dog; you were in pain after all! And it seemed to work, so maybe the high-pitched "ouch!" will work too. Some pups just get more amped up when you squeal though, so it's a trial and error thing.
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 7:45am PST 
Czarka, I've tried the squeal but he just loves it... It's a game to him and it only excites him more...

I didn't do it on purpose. It was just a reflex to the shock...

Like Missy, I'm only human and I felt so bad afterwards... But it seemed to have worked quite well... Skip is a little terror. Squealing, standing up, turning your back and ignoring Skip, doesn't work... He hates time out though so I'm sticking to that puppy
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 7:52am PST 
Jewel is independent and stubborn...oh yes I yell. Everyday when I put her in the car she stands on my seat and looks over at her booster seat. I say, "Go." She doesn't move. "Jewel go!" Just stands there looking around maybe sniffs the armrest. "GOOOOO!!!!!!!!" Jumps into her seat so I can get in. shrug I can't wait for the snow to melt so I'm not parking her door against a snow bank and can just put her in again. Such a diva!!
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 7:58am PST 
Lupi, I've done that kind of shout at Dexter... Once we were walking in the hills where there are not supposed to be any sheep... Low and behold, that day there was a small random flock. Dexter, being a BC didn't even think, he just ran towards them. I shouted 'stop' at the top of my lungs and remarkably, Dexter stopped in his tracks at lightening speed, dropped to the ground and eye-stalked the sheep until I reached him and put his leash back on... My heart was in my mouth as farmers here have the right to shoot a dog that is aggravating his livestock... I think that was the only time I've shocked Dexter by shouting... But I guess it was a good thing puppy
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 7:59am PST 
Lol Jewel... She does indeed sound like a diva!
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 8:19am PST 
Yes, unfortunately I have lost my cool and shouted at both of them more times than I'd like to admit... Even swatted them, though I'm really ashamed of it and I feel absolutely horrible about it afterwards. cry

Squealing at them when they bit us as puppies though... I feel that that's different. It's just letting them know that nipping hurts. I also used time-out for Nix when his nipping got especially bad.
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 8:30am PST 
Oh, yes. I do shout at the dogs, but I try not to do it too much so it is still effective in case of an emergency.

Sometimes, certain behaviors are so reinforcing to dogs that you have to use an aversive. Good parents do the same for their kids, too. Louie used to be a pretty bad land shark, too and I got him to stop by telling him 'leave it' if he nipped. If he didn't listen, I would just pinch his muzzle or his tongue ( not enough to hurt him). He still saw it as a game, but would try and taunt me into catching him by darting away...at least he stopped nipping.laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5