GO!

who should be dominant ?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 7:16am PST 
Mika is 3, and we had her first.....Lexus our pup is about 6 and a half months now.
So we figured Mika would take the role of putting Lexus in her place when needed and whatnot and be the more dominant one. But she is not, Lexus has that type of personality but Mika is content just relaxing and things like that. Now, because we had Mika much longer and also had her first, I feel bad for her being dominated by the pup. I dont really think she minds, so I was wondering should I try and stop the pup from this or let nature take it's course? shrug
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 8:04am PST 
What do you mean by the pup is dominating Mika? What behaviors suggest this? What are you seeing that you consider dominant?
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 11:37am PST 
Pups don't really "dominate" other dogs. It's best to not think of it in those terms.

I will say that by this age puppies should have outgrown their puppy "license" where older dogs let them get away with a lot.

I suggest you step in when the pup is bothering the other dog.
[notify]

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:35pm PST 
It just seems Lexus is alpha dog (aside from myself) and not Mika, and we thought it would be her given the age and she was here first kind of thing.
If Mika has a toy, the pup will come take it for herself, and Mika does nothing....there have been maybe once or twice where she will growl and send the pup on her way, but not often. Also when they play, which is a lot! when Mika gets sick of playing, she will let Lexus just like sit there and chew on her neck or her collar, and Lexus rides around on Mika's back, she will have her front legs up on Mika's back while biting the back of her neck and Mika will just walk around and lexus's hind legs just walk along the floor and she stays up on her back......hopefully that made sense confused
I will say though that when Mika has truly had enough, she does this bark think and moves and Lexus will sometimes listen and sometimes not. We have been trying to stop this......maybe not all the time but most times lately because I dont want Mika to feel taken over by the new pup that came in.....and I can see that the bigger Lexus gets, Mika wont just bark easily and that will be all.....Lexus seems a bit of a bully. So I have been I guess you would say taking her side and teaching the pup that this is not o.k......but I dont know if I should be doing this? Or do I just let the pup become alpha? Not sure how to work it thinking
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 1:25pm PST 
It sounds like the puppy is just being a puppy and that Mika is a very good natured, tolerant dog.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 1:34pm PST 
Wolves don't work in terms of 'alpha'. At least not in the old fashioned sense of the word. There is the mother, the father, and their children, occasionally with some aunts, uncles, etc. It is a FAMILY structure. The term 'alpha' when used to describe wolves and dogs has been proven repeatedly, to be incorrect in the way they handle things. In fact, while there is dominance and submission in the world, both animal and human, it's not in the terms one would think when you hear the words 'dominant' or 'alpha' these days. Wolves do not 'alpha roll' one another unless it's the kill the other or during play, and they RARELY need to demand submission because submission is always OFFERED as appeasement to try to dispel the disagreement between the two animals. At least, that's what I've come to understand over the years.

Anyway... I agree, it sounds like Lexus is being a puppy, and Mika is being a very tolerant, good dog. Perhaps a little too tolerant, but let Mika decide what Lexus can and cannot get away with - to an extent. If Mika tells Lexus off and Lex doesn't back off, THEN you can step in. You can even step in and try to redirect the puppy when you feel she's getting carried away. But by no means is this an alpha situation or a dominant/submissive situation. This is a good, tolerant adult dog, and a rambunctious puppy.

I have the exact same situation at home. Charlie would let Ria get away with murder, but you put another puppy up to the same antics that ISN'T part of his home and he'll go after it to tell it off, no ifs, ands or buts. He tolerates a lot, almost too much from Ria, but he also knows his limits and I have to trust that.

Watch for signs that Mika is becoming annoyed, stressed, or uncomfortable with Lex's behavior, and step in as needed to redirect the puppy to play with something else. But you needn't worry about Lexus taking over. Mika will draw the line where she feels the need to. wink
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 2:05pm PST 
O.k thank you both very much. Mika is a very tolerant dog, that's for sure.....very calm very loving, very low key type dog. Lexus has learned a lot from her already, which is great, I just didn't want her feeling overwhelmed with it. But it seems as you both said.......puppy being a puppy.....and I do step in when I feel enough is enough, or when Mika wants to sleep and things like that. So I think I am doing my job right then. Just to say also, they are the best of friends, it shows, when Lexus came back from the vet after she was spayed a few days ago, Mika has been all over her since.....like I mean licking her and laying beside her and things like a mother would do after a childs visit to the hospital. It's very heart warming.
Thanks again for the advice puppy
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 7:25pm PST 
It sounds like your doggies are working it out just fine on their own...very sweet!!!little angellittle angel I worried about dominance when we first got Callie since he approaches every situation like a tank. But he and Soph worked it out together from day one, all it takes is a meaningful look from Sophie and Callie is laying there toadly submissive all four feet in the airlaugh out loud
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:48am PST 
Thanks Opheila. smile I am glad everybody thinks this is o.k, so I think I have been doing it right then, and only stepping in when I think Mika is becoming distressed and Lexus wont so much pick up on that, and keeps going.
[notify]