GO!

Your dog/dogs best and worst breed-related trait?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 7:42am PST 
Norwegian Elkhounds best        incorruptible character. Bred as a companion dog for 6,000 years, they excel and take that job seriously. Wicked smart. Versatile and fun loving
worst     they Shed and if violate their contract of fairness, they never forgive, forget, and never trust again. You can't make a mistake with them.

English Springer Spaniel best     good natured, Bird hunting field masters, great bed dogs. resilient
worst     Wind mill nervous energy. Quick to learn when you can slow their bodies down slower than the speed of thought, but tend to be OCD/ADD. The worst, is the soft silky hair that attracts mud, and turns the house into a mud river whenever they come in. Require a bath on house entry, everytime it rains.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 12:25pm PST 
Hucky..Lab/Rottie

lab good trait... very gentle, lovable and loyal
lab bad trait... chews and destroys

Rottie good trait...same as above plus very good watch dog
Rottie bad trait... although he's very gentle taking food out of your hand, the gentle giant doesn't know his own strenght and could knock you down in a heart beat.

Ringo... Pure Lab

good trait... so eager to please, gentle, obediant, loyal, affectionate
bad trait...chews and destroys
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 3:13pm PST 
Farles is a GSD/Border Collie mutt.

For GSD, I'd say his protectiveness is the best trait. He's an amazing guard dog and I do feel safe with him when I'm out alone. His worst GSD trait is probably when his intelligence leads to bad things, like if he gets bored when home alone, he will make his own fun or search the house like it's a puzzle, taking things apart or finding things, or just moving things around.

For Border Collie, his best breed trait is his level of biddability. With the right motivator, he will do ANYTHING, or die trying to get that reward.
His worst BC trait is probably that he's a bit high-strung in certain situations, particularly high-energy situations with lots of exciting stuff going on with other dogs. That's ultimately why we finished with agility, as it was getting very stressful for me to handle him with other dogs running around. Chasing was his #1 motivator.
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 3:19pm PST 
Kali-King Shepherd
Best traits-very gentle at the same time protective, extremely kind, loyal, goofy, very soft mouth.
Worst traits-barky, stubborn and very instinctive and a little dense

Koby-King Shepherd
Best trait-seriously scary smart, very protective, playful, goofy, extremely work oriented
Worst traits-reactive, submissive pee'er, selfish with toys, extremely work oriented (never stops)shrug
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 7:04pm PST 
Clyde: English Mastiff

Best- He is very biddable and craves to be near his favorite humans, being driven to please. It is so much so, that things that normally upset dogs, such as vet visits, make him wiggly and excited because the People With the Treats at the vet are always happy with him. He is fairly adaptable to changing routines. He keeps the creepers away and seems to know when someone is acting too suspicious near us, whether or not I feel nervous about said person. He loves to snuggle and is very tolerant of his humans' antics. He has an "off switch" and can go from calm to crazy and back again in a few minutes depending on what the situation is.

Worst- He sometimes thinks he knows better than me. This can include being territorial toward guests we are friendly toward, continually performing a (supposedly proofed) trick incorrectly despite consistently getting no treat. He barks at a lot of unnecessary things because he is protective. He is very gassy and drools a lot. Wiggling turns him into a land-mine of slime, usually hitting walls, but inevitably managing to get any unprotected important items, clean clothes, and faces within range.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 7:42pm PST 
Bella- rhodesian ridgeback mix (maybe with lab... something smaller)

Best- smart and loves to work; doesn't bark unless truly alarmed or protective; easy going in the house; kind of silly, but really easy to maintain (doesn't really shed, barely needs a bath, etc).

Worst- her general stubbornness, her nose on walks when she picks up a scent, and at times her sight hound nature: gone in a flash if a small animal moves.

Best/Worst- energy level: she is always fun and up to playing, but at times a bit much (when people come over, when we're tired or sick and not up to a walk, at 6 am on a Sunday morning)
[notify]
'Barcoola'- Rogue

Door? What door?

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 10:24pm PST 
Rogue - Coolie
Best traits: So handler focused, extremely agile, like a little shadow whenever I'm with him
Worst traits: Very possessive and full on - he'll nip and herd Indy away from me.

Shep - Border Collie/ cattle dog
Best traits: Gentle, intelligent, trainable, loves hugs, loves running, loves laying on your feet, loves meeting everyone he sees.. what can I say he's the perfect family dog he really is.
Worst traits: Car chasing frown

Indy - Maremma
Best traits: Completely loyal, very protective, loves hugs and jogging
Worst traits: Dislikes strangers, sometimes barks at everything, other times barks at nothing, overthinks commands; won't commit unless there's something in it for him
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 11:25pm PST 
No Aussies yet!?

Well all three of my Australian Shepherd are very different...so I think I have to do them individually.

Maggie
Best - her intelligence and intuitiveness
Worst - her desire to be independent and know better than me and the barking

Porter
Best - his adorableness and desire to please
Worst - barking and misplaced herding instinct (he runs circles when he stresses)

Tika
Best - intelligent, willing to please, fun
Worst - the static cling that I apparently wear that causes her to stick to me...even with independent training she still is like velcro
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 5:49am PST 
Siberian Husky...
Good- very happy go lucky dogs, comical, social, loving, expressive, loves the kids, playful.......I could go on and on...

Bad- food thieving, escape artists, cannot let off leash
[notify]
Droopy CD,- RA, HH, TDI,- CGC

I didn't do it

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 6:45am PST 
Droopy- Basset
Best- Easy going, loves to learn and work, big personality.
Worst- Can't trust him off leash outdoors, prey drive.

Zippy- Basset
Best- stable as a rock
Worst- ultimate speedbump, not much personality.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6