GO!

Your dog/dogs best and worst breed-related trait?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 9:30am PST 
Lupi's best and worse traits aren't breed related. But sticking to the traits that definitely have to do with her breed (Dachshund):

Best: Loyal. Dachshunds are truly one-person dogs. I am Lupi's person. She loves many others, but will always choose my lap/side of the bed/feet to lay by/voice to listen to...over anyone else. She would like nothing better than to simply be with me, no matter what I was doing. Unless I'm in the shower. She's not a fan of water!

Worst: Prey drive. Lupi's instinct to hunt small animals is very keen. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (she keeps the mice out of our garage) but I would never trust her around pet rabbits, gerbils, etc. She can't really go into a pet store that sells any kind of small animal, because she thinks her job is to rid the store of "vermin"
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 10:49am PST 
TILLER (Giant Schnauzer) BEST - Fearless. Of anything, ever.
WORST - Ball buster laugh out loud Very naughty in a prodding
way.

DANIEL (Am Cocker) BEST - Stable as a rock. Nothing bothers him.
WORST - Marker.

CHESTER (Am Cocker) BEST - Heart of a working dog. Will totally splay
himself...very big hearted.
WORST - Somewhat sharp.
[notify]
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 4:39pm PST 
Remy (pomeranian)

Best trait - intelligent, interested in EVERYTHING

Worst trait - oh good heavens, the barking. And maybe also that he's intelligent. laugh out loud
[notify]

Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 5:16pm PST 
These are great!

Sonja (Standard Poodle) - Best Traits: Super sweet, soft mouthed, doesn't really shed, perfect manners, very good vermin killer, and incredible smart.

Worst Traits - Incredible smart laugh out loudbig laugh Freakishly smart and likes to try and out wit me and hubby (although I also find this endearing and part of the Poodle charm), Stubborn as a mule if she has made her mind up about something, the most girly girl dog I've every had (which can also be a positive...as she won't get near anything that smells or feels disgusting), won't let anyone touch her hair do after being groomed laugh out loudbig laugh
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 5:45pm PST 
Gus--- Collie, Sheltie, Boxer, Bassett Hound

Best traits--total schmoozer and a clown, learns fast, likes speed and jumping, but has an off switch in the house, very gentle with kids, like Moose she lays down with really little kids and lets them poke all over her.

Worst traits--Learns faster than me--really knows how to work a situational "barkmail", occasionally pulls a hound dog plant over directional choices, "but the enticing smells are thataway!" (I blame the Bassett!) And also is a bit of a must clear the perimeter (of abandoned food) before I can get to work kind of girl.laugh out loud
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 6:21pm PST 
Lenny (beagle/basset mix)
Worst: That darn nose! That one tracked mind hooked on a scent...lol nothing I can do about it
Best: He's a really really good problem solver, mainly motivated by his nose and food drive I've seen him open things and manipulate objects in ways that are almost creepy. laugh out loud He's so fun to work with clicker training as well because of this. He doesn't need me to offer suggestions, he comes up with plenty of his own. Hounds don't need the human to get their job done. Makes him absolutely brilliant to watch in Nosework class, and he'll search and work tirelessly in that case. He's true to what he loves that's for sure. Just for the sake of pleasing people isn't his gig... which I think is both a bit of best and worst all at the same time.

I'd do my other boy Crash but I'm really just not starting to get to know him finally, and plus besides 'hound mix' and a couple either brittany spaniel or pointer guesses I have no real idea what he is lol
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 7:37pm PST 
Bichon Frise/Toy Poodle

Best Traits: his eagerness to learn new tricks he is super attached to me without having separation anxiety. He loves anyone literally unless someone was to tease him he goes up to anyone and wants attention. He is motivated by food and toys he loves catching his Frisbee in the air shaking it bringing it back to me So he can get a good tug. Funny seeing a little 10 pound dog loving a frisbee.

Worst traits: nervous in new environments and reactive on the leash. Crazy amount of energy even though I do things constantly with him. He can be sometimes pushy and a bully with dogs. He can be stubborn recall is our biggest challenge he looks right at me and decides if I am worth his time, I think it has to do with his age 1 year and 6 months old. He shuts down and freaks out if anyone is to raise their voice or argue.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 7:55pm PST 
Yorkie

Best traits: great watch dog and vermin killer. Loves being with you or the family. Listen pretty well for not having a lot of training done. Great dog for walks, hikes or runs. Pretty calm in new environments. Accepting new dogs in the house from just even meeting them in the yard.

Worst traits: barking at unknown nosies, she is a maker worse then any boy dog I have seen she could mark 40 times on walk. Bad with kids I don't, blame her she is very small. Whining Bella whines every time she wants something. I tell my parents not to give in to her but they do. Demanding she wants to sleep on not one but two pillows on the couch bol. Severe separation anxiety she never wants to be left alone and cries like she is seriously hurt.
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 9:07pm PST 
Forgot to put under Bad traits: Mozart doing zoombies most people laugh but he meets new people he loves to do it even if he is on a short leash outside or not. We can be having a nice walk then all of sudden he starts and goes crazy talking as he runslaugh out loudapplause this is suppose to be very common in the breed of the Bichon Frise. I think its funny but wish he did not do it all the time. If anyone wants to see what I am talking about put bighorn blitzing into YouTube.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:20am PST 
Cobain - Border Collie
Best
- Intelligence
- Willingness to work with me
- Patience (this is a BIG one with a handler like my big laugh)
- How ready he is to take on just about anything
- Loyal
- Great "off switch"
- Great off-lead
- His talking "Aroo roo roo" especially when he's frustrated or wants something laugh out loud

Worst
- Intelligence (Well his sarcastic commentary when I do something stupid, or the "I already know this, let's move on")
- His sensitivity - one raised voice or wrong move and he can shut down at times
- He doesn't play or much like other dogs. I know it's not a *must* but it can be a little embarrassing when he shows his teeth to just about every dog.

Rigby - Australian Kelpie/Border Collie mix
Best
- Her personality. There is just so much personality packed into this little dog
- Enthusiastic and incredibly biddable. Every sport/trick she attacks with this unwavering enthusiasm. We could do the same thing 30 times and she'd still be wagging her tail.
- Affectionate - something that I don't have with Cobain. She's always happy to come up for a cuddle
- Her seal like vocalizations - I'm not sure if this is a breed trait or not. I suspect something may have damaged her vocal cords.
- She self exercises. If she's bored she will fly off the couch swinging a toy around for about half an hour or so.

Worst
- Her biting. She never gets me hard, but she's sneaky about it. Acts all cuddly and cute, then BAM my nose is in her mouth
- Her insecurity (probably not a breed trait)
- Her barking - the main issue is when we're out playing fetch and I don't throw the ball quick enough
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6