GO!

Your dog/dogs best and worst breed-related trait?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 8:09pm PST 
Pomeranian-
Best: Intelligent, quick to learn, watchdog, perfect companion

Worst: not very discriminating when on watchdog duty (barks/growls at any little thing out of place), stubborn, pushes buttons
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 9:06pm PST 
Sophie-American Staffordshire-Best trait is she is utterly, completely devoted to me, if I sleep in or am sick in bed she will not eat or use the bathroom until I am up and with her, anywhere I am there she is automatically. Worst trait-bully stubborness, people in the neighborhood must wonder what's up with the little senior citizen lugging the moose sized dog in her arms...because she freezes at streets leading to the park and she is determined that is where we will go...or she is not walking...ever again, so there

Callie-American Bulldog-Best trait is his utter confidence in public. I know I can walk in even the creepiest neighborhood and my man will keep me safe. Anyone male in particular better keep a good ten feet away.
Worst Trait-his intestial fortitude, oy when you're spraying air freshener because of the dog it's pretty bad, common among bullies, should've named him Walterlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 9:24pm PST 
Best: Her intelligence. She's also really handler focused, and has tons of work drive. She's also protective, I would never worry about safety if we were on a walk together. She'd step up to the plate for sure. All very GSD related traits, I love all that about her. She's my perfect dog, she really is.

Worst: Her stubbornness. Another breed thing, they MUST test you. Must. I don't even think it's willful or malicious. She just... wants it SO bad she has to try and try again to get it. It gets annoying sometimes. But mostly it's just the flip side of her work drive. So I live with it. It is adorable and endearing sometimes too. The second worst thing about her are her space issues. She doesn't take well to random people petting her in weird, intimidating ways. We're working through that, but she's such a strong, dominant personality it takes work and patience for her to learn that I want her to tolerate the attention from other people, even if she doesn't love it.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:03am PST 
Onyx-German Shepherd Dog

Best Traits: Loyal as can be, I'm his person and everyone knows it. Extremely versatile and a quick learner, able and willing to do every sport we've tried so far. Fantastic off lead, doesn't get past a certain distance away from me and randomly comes to check in. Good off switch in the house, but ready to go at a moment's notice, with the energy and endurance to go all day. Will work for a ball/tug, but won't run off after rabbits outside. Scary looking with the confidence and ability to back up his threats, always feel safe with him around.

Worst Traits: Very vocal, not so much barking as loud whining/crying when he's excited for something. A little too attentive to any behavior he perceives to be out of the ordinary, socialization has to be extremely thorough and ongoing. Can be very pushy when he wants something, has no problem sticking his face right in mine and staring directly into my eyes to get his message across. Has his stubborn moments, a lot of which I attribute to his age.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 7:45am PST 
Harley - golden
His best trait - wonderful family dog, loves everyone, very calm and cuddly.
His worst trait - definitly a retriever- usually dirty laundry.

Maci - golden
She loves to work and has a wonderful off-switch.
Worst trait - the begging!!! (okay that might be more of a training issue) and the hyperness when people visit. Loves everyone too much.

Both of them rarely bark and are amazing with little animals, children and elderly.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 8:32am PST 
Czarka/Charka is GSD

She's very GSD... so similar to Onyx it's... scary/breed-related.
The good? She's very intelligent and biddable. She will try anything I get the dumb idea we should do. She is extremely confident and stable... and curious. We ARE a team and it's a feeling I find hard to describe. Best I can do is that we are both aware of each other.

The bad? Nothing too serious (in a GSD way)... she can get noisy when entering training spaces... exciting barking from a GSD can cause the walls to shake. Once we get moving, the barks stop. As a matter of course, I'm always tracking her body language to make sure she's approaching interactions (human or canine) as she should. We in Therapy Dog training... so pretty standard... but important that the human always BE in control so that, with my big-and-toothy companion, we keep a confident and non-threatening profile wink

The expected (it is what it is) - She's protective of her home... don't enter without an introduction or she'll freeze you in the front hall. She's high energy. The on/off is good... but daily exercise IS important... and she can count. Two walks/exercise sessions DOES NOT equal three (her expectation). Oh, and as a trait... she sheds a bit (rofl).

Edited by author Tue Feb 26, '13 8:35am PST

[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 8:49am PST 
I am tickled pink at how all us GSD people stated more or less all the same things in different ways. big laugh
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 8:58am PST 
The Moose's best trait is his gentleness with small dogs and kids. Every time a little(toddler-5 yr old) kid approaches him (with parent) to say hi, Moose automatically lays down on his belly. He seems very aware that he's got to be small like them and he also does the same thing when meeting small dogs and cats. I've never requested he do this. This is all Moose's doing.
It melts my heart every time.

A few weeks ago while I was walking Moose, I saw two people, walking their dogs, trying to corral a stray Chihuahua. The little guy wouldn't get close enough for anyone to grab him.
The Chi spotted me and Moose and be-lined it for us across the street and as the Chi approached us, Moose laid down on his belly and tried to make himself as small as possible for the Chi.
The Chi sniffed Moose's nose, but wouldn't come close enough to me. The two other people watching were amazed at Moose's behavior. It just made me so proud.

The bad trait--stubbornness. If Moose doesn't want to do something, he doesn't. Luckily it isn't too bad, but I've never had a stubborn dog before so it gets on my every last nerve.
It's

Edited by author Tue Feb 26, '13 9:12am PST

[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 9:07am PST 
Ace being a mix, it's hard to say. I think she's got some Belgian Malinois or GSD or both, because there's a definite protectiveness of the home turf that our full huskies don't demonstrate. I do like it though. The average petty thief is not going to risk finding out what's behind her bark. She's friendly with anyone away from home, but she has to know visitors are okay with us. THEN she wants to love all over them laugh out loud But she's got the vocal range of a husky in addition to her "watchdog" bark. So expressive, I love it.

Worst trait for all of them is poor recall. And I don't think I'll trust any of them off-leash in an unfenced area. Typical of huskies though. And Teeko and Kale have both gotten out of the yard while Ace was right there with them. She didn't follow.

And the prey drive is tough to handle on walks. I hate to see Kale leave with my daughter, but it will be much easier to return to only walking two dogs, not three at a time.

But what I love about all three, and especially Kale and Teeko, is how sweet and friendly they are with people, including small children. That is pretty typical of huskies, I think. The aggressive ones are few and far between.

The playful is so fun to watch! A running husky is breathtakingly beautiful to me. Ace has a way of chasing for a while, then turning on the jets to catch Teeko, letting him think's he faster for a little while.

Part of the reason I think Ace is part Belgian Malinois is her energy level. Just more "on" than the other two. And to be more "on" than a couple of huskies is saying something! It has its pros and cons. She is massively entertaining, but it can be a little much at times.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 9:12am PST 
Alva, rough collie

Best trait:
It is so difficult to pick just one. She is almost exactly what I wanted when I took her. She is loyal and attached to me. She would follow me anywhere if she could. Yet she has no separation anxiety. She is also very easy to train and to have off-leash. She isn't so active as a Belgian shepherd or border collie but is still clearly a shepherd descendant. Actually, I could say that Alva's best trait is that she is just like Netta (whom I adored) but in a less demanding package.

Worst trait:
She is a little bit nervous some times. I'd like her to be a bit more balanced.

Netta, Belgian Tervueren

Best trait:
I can't name one. I loved her as she was. Probably her best trait was that she was always willing to cooperate.

Worst trait:
Again, I would havce liked more balance in temperament. Netta didn't like insecure people (like not dog-savvy children) and used to scare them even more.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6