GO!

Deterioration of trust

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 9:03am PST 
Yikes, "silly face-paced"? shock I meant fast paced! Can you tell I couldn't sleep last night, up before my wake time . . .doh!
[notify]
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 4:33pm PST 
I had the same problem with Baby after the addition of Chaplin. I did my best to divvy up the time i spent with both dogs but in the end it wasn't enough. Baby already does nosework and agility, Chaplin does formal obedience as well as rally. All of our classes are with different people at different places. Baby, however, seemed to get progressively mopier. I can't spend all that much more on classes so I tried doing training at home with just Baby in front of Chaplin secluded (as someone else suggested). It just made the rivalry between them skyrocket and was a very loud, messy process. Baby and I now attend a cheap trick class. We already know half the stuff being taught but we are forced to get out in a new environment with other dogs and there we bond and we are now rebuilding our cooperative skills.

Does the class you take together have to be anything important? Can it just be cheap and fun?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:31pm PST 
TODAY MULDER ALMOST LOST HIS LIFE TO THIS STUPID BEHAVIOR.

Only 6 trillion times have we trained on this field, the dogs
always load into the car as soon as we are done, its literally automatic.

Today, ONCE in the years we've been going there, I get an emergency phone call from work, and am distracted just long enough for him to TAKE OFF RUNNING TOWARDS ONE OF THE BUSIEST HIGHWAYS IN THE COUNTY.

I TOLD him to stop. I SCREAMED his recall on the top of my lungs. He took one look at me, as if to ponder it, and was gone.

There was no "maybe", he WAS dead, he was standing RIGHT in the middle of the road and a white truck was literally ON TOP OF HIM when he moved at the LAST possible second.

EVEN THEN, when I ran across the street for him, he ran off into a nearby neighborhood. He ONLY stopped when I finally screamed at him to "down", which for some stupid cracked out reason he actually listened to.

This is the last straw. I don't care if he's having some stupid @$%&#%& midlife crisis, he saw a moment of weakness from me and TOOK ADVANTAGE OF IT. This isn't me feeling bad for him anymore, this is me saying I'm done. This isn't "poor pitiful me" this is "!#$^@$^ you lady I don't give a crap anymore".

Never again. NEVER again.
[notify]

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:36pm PST 
hughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughug
Absolutely terrifying!
I have nothing to offer here except for that I'm glad he is okay and I really hope something snaps him back to his old self soon
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:38pm PST 
Good. I am sorry you had a heart attack....can only imagine hug.....and he's lucky he had the GSD brains not to get himself killed. I didn't agree with the thing said earlier from Guest and not anthropomorphizing. Dogs CAN flip you the bird. Particularly German dogs. He's not exactly going for whatever has been stemming from your sense of empathy. These sorts of regressions....we can be understanding for a time, but solid OB is what keeps our dogs safe. And some things are just not funny, or acceptable.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:45pm PST 
This has breached far past unacceptable. I have spent the last half hour crying my eyes out over this. He WAS dead... in my mind, as that truck came plowing towards him, he WAS dead. Some miracle of fate saved this idiot today, and I aim to never have this happen again.

It literally kills me, after all we've done in training, after all I've done to make the training I use with him BETTER, more effective, more agreeable... he's hiking his leg and taking a piss over it.

I'm not shocked. Not surprised by it. Just very, very upset.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 2:09pm PST 
Omg! That is so scary. So glad nothing happened to Mulder hug That's like my worst nightmare. I actually had a nightmare where Onyx was hit by a BMW when he ran into the road, and I woke up extremely upset. I can't even imagine being that close to actually having that experience hug
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 2:43pm PST 
what a terrifying experience. Glad to hear Mulder wasn't hurt. hug
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 3:16pm PST 
Very scary indeed! shock hug I actually knew of someone whose dog DID die in similar circumstances, so it's a good job Mulder had the sense to move on at the last minute and eventually "down" for you too.

I don't know what you can do to make things better, but i'm hoping you find a solution soon!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 3:40pm PST 
I'm trying very hard to come to a reasonable decision on the matter. In times like this, of course my mind wanders to the idea of getting a remote collar and going back to all those old Lou Castle threads. I don't WANT to do that. We've gone nearly 5 years without having to resort to those measures, it would feel like a defeat at this point.

But its like I said, I can't change the tides. There's only so many classes and so many teachers. I keep trying to find something to do, but there's just nothing worth looking for around here. I'm trying very hard not to be angry with him right now. I AM, but I'm trying not to show it. I drug out my set of jumps and did some baby scale agility with him just now, pulled out the long line and did some OB. It feels like motions now, though. He sits, he heels, he gets his cookie.

I just don't know.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4