GO!

Puppy behaviour

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:21am PST 
I have a 10 week old Cocker Spaniel Puppy who seems very smart. Unless it is very cold (I live in Minnesota)When I let her outside, she is starting to run from me when I call her. She sometimes does it in the house also. I don't want to always have her on the leash. I know of other people that can't let their dogs run but we have never has that problem. We have a cabin and I want her to be able to run and play and not always have to be tied up or on a leash.

Thank you for your suggestions.dog walk
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 8:01am PST 
Fear not, 'tis but a phase your puppy is going through. Clyde never had that problem, but he was... never the sharpest tool in the box. laugh out loud
We have a 13 week old puppy who is very smart. He listened well until he realized he had other options! Just offer your puppy some 'jackpot' treats, such as dog-friendly people food like bananas every time the pup comes on command. And unfortunately, you will have to leash her up every time she is outside. She is testing her abilities to get away with stuff right now, but she shouldn't need a leash by the time she is an adult.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 9:55am PST 
In my experience, the best way to get a young puppy to come to you is to move away from them. Chasing is one of the worst things you can do. If you move toward them, they'll move away from you. If you move away from them, they'll move toward you.

Also make sure you're not recalling her to do anything she'll view as negative, such as going back inside, scolding, getting a bath, ect. Always make coming to you a good thing. Call her, give her a yummy treat or play with her, and let her go again.

Since she's already in the habit of running away when you call her, you may want to use a long line for a little while. Then you can gently reel her in, treats/play, let her go again, to show her that coming to you is actually a good thing. You can also try playing hide-and-seek in the house where you sneak out of her view and she has to come find you. Then move the game to the yard.
[notify]