GO!

Would Dog Playmate Stop Cat Chasing?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 10:46am PST 
I did a Wisdom mixed breed DNA test on my dog Hoss. We were told he was a English/American bulldog. But he looks a lot like a boxer and acts like a boxer the way he plays. So I bought the kit and followed the directions exactly. We did the test first thing in the morning before he ate anything and they give you 2 swabs. They don't ask you anything about the dog except his name. 3 weeks later we got the results and it was amazing. It showed he was mostly Bulldog/boxer as we suspected with some mixed other dogs in his great grandparents. If you look at Hoss's picture you can see how accurate it was.

Edited by author Mon Feb 18, '13 10:47am PST

[notify]
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 8:59pm PST 
Sparkles,
Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to tell my husband that the cat door looks nice. I'm not sure what he has against them!

Hoss,
Now you're making me want to buy a DNA test smile I'm sure I will break down and do it one day.
[notify]
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 11:22pm PST 
So, if I'm not going to get another doggie for Stella to play with in the home, how do you recommend finding her a good doggie playmate in the neighborhood? She used to have one, but not anymore. I'd like to find another energetic dog, around the same size, owned by another person who is home during the day and lives close by. This is probably asking way too much.

I have a big fenced in yard to offer though. Plus, a well socialized dog. Yeah, Stella still does doggie daycare twice a week, but it would be nice if she could play with another dog for about 30 minutes or so at least once a week in our yard. That's a different experience for her because she can run around the yard and play chase with the other dog. I've seen how she plays with her former playmate in our yard, and how she plays on the doggie cam at daycare. She can't run around quite as much at daycare.

So, does anyone have any tips on finding a good dog playmate in your neighborhood? Or should I just go ahead and get her another dang doggie already? wink Pretty soon, I hope to have this whole cat chasing thing worked out. I'm making progress.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 1:30pm PST 
Finding another playmate can be as easy as schmoozing with other owners in the neighborhood that have happy pups and inviting them for a playdate. The dog park is another place where there can be new potential friends.

Would another dog be a good idea? Welllll, it sounds like you're entertaining the idea. Since getting our second dog I can say I think it can be wonderful if you find the right match. Another dog is a companion, best friend and partner in crime to the first. It's also double the dog for you, but not really that much more work...and of course double the love

Bye the bye, the cats will not be pleased at the prospect of two dogs in their house...but most of them do eventually forgive you heeheehee
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:10pm PST 
I posted on Craigslist to find a playmate for Josie and had a few responses. You could also ask around at doggie daycare or the dog park.
[notify]
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 9:11pm PST 
Hi. Thanks for the ideas. I don't go to the dog park after I was bitten by another dog there. But I might ask doggie daycare, though I'm wondering if they can give out info like that. And they want me to take her there. Hmm. I think someone should invent a doggie playdate website. blue dog

I might ask my trainer too. I know this person works with other dogs in the neighborhood. I see people out walking their dogs a lot, but most people don't really want to stop and talk. In fact, they usually cross the street to avoid us. The one guy who asked if we wanted our dogs to meet recently was quite strange. He wanted to use my dog to help his dog get over dog aggression. His dog tried to bite mine the whole time we talked. No thanks.

By the way, I FINALLY saw a purebred Irish wolfhound in the flesh. I've been so curious about this breed since so many random people have said Stella looks like one. I was enchanted by this dog! Quite totally overwhelming BIG, but awesome and stately.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3