GO!

Isolation anxiety

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

George

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 6:18pm PST 
We have an amazing puppy named George, who is 7 months old. He loves people and has never liked being left alone, but has always tolerated his crate. We did the typical crate training routine when we first adopted him, and he seemed to enjoy being in there to nap or at night. We were worried that he had separation anxiety when he was a pup, as he was defecating in his crate, even though we knew he could hold it longer (we would only leave him in there unattended for an hour or two). We videotaped him in the past, and the tape showed that he did whine and howl for a few minutes, then napped the rest of the time (although he did have to go potty about 5 minutes before we returned). So we just assumed he was ok. Now, when we come home, he is manic with excitement to see us, he is very thirsty, and his crate is often moved. We videotaped him again, and the result wasn't pretty. He spent the hour away howling, barking, throwing himself against the crate, biting it, and pawing at it.

My priority is keeping him safe, and I assumed he would be as long as he was in the crate. We are a little hesitant to let him have the run of the house due to fear that he will eat something and hurt himself! He is not really destructive, but he has eaten a pair of underwear which left him throwing up all that week (we still don't know whose underwear it was but that is a whole different story).

Has anyone experienced this before? He is generally not an anxious dog, which is why the whole seperation anxiety is foreign to us. We do expect he has "isolation anxiety" because it seems to not matter who is with him, as long as it is someone!

Sorry for the long story, but I would appreciate anyone who can help me help my baby
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 7:51pm PST 
Maybe you could try gating off an area in the house for him to be while you are gone, and put the radio on for him. So he is still confined, but in not such a small space. Also you could try getting a Kong to keep him entertained when he is alone.

My puppy has the same problem but I have just been lucky enough to have someone always home and other dogs to keep her company.
[notify]