GO!

is there anything I should do about this?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 10:27pm PST 
Yeah, I thought that it was some kind of deja vu. lol Anyway, it's your call. You didn't do anything to their dog and you're trying to protect your family, which is good. Let's just hope that their dogs get help as soon as authorities receive your call when you leave. smile
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 12:17am PST 
I am not sure the authorities can or will do anything in this case. You didn't see them beat their dogs, they told you, and they told you an expression of speech....in what way did they beat their dogs? You do not know that and can't give any measure of a detailed report. Sounds as if the dogs have food, shelter and fight a lot, with the female perhaps the more tangible problem. I am not discouraging you if you still wanted to do it, but sometimes, alas (and I am all about animal welfare), we see things that are terribly wrong but there's nothing in the law that would mandate an intervention. You'd be a lot better off calling child welfare and saying their child lives in a home with two battling Pit Bulls, but then of course the response would be seizure and who knows what. Sometimes, we just need to be sad and remind ourselves how important humane law is and how much it needs to grow.

A few years back, I lived next door to a sad and angry man who kept his dog chained to a dog house. I remember her coming as a little, happy puppy, they having just lost their Golden, and feeling so sad as I knew what her fate would be. She lived in the house for a few months, then it was out to life on a chain. She had nothing to do, she just lived outside and waited all the time. Sometimes I would see her frolic chasing a rock she batted around....it was so sad. They put their garbage out in back of the house until trash day, bagged, and on a few occasions left it close enough for her to get to, and she tore it apart as an appreciated toy. He'd come out in a fury, yell, handle her roughly, then nail her into her dog house for one or two days. It was horrible, but my hands were pretty much tied. There wasn't anything I could do for her other than throw her cookies over the fence and be really sad. Always made it clear to him I was watching, just in case he thought of being too rough with her. But that's really all I could do.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 9:38am PST 
She said she DID see them beating their dogs:

"But, today, I was making dinner and looked outside and both their dogs were locked together. They were both bleeding all over the place and the owners were both beating the female to get her to let go of the male as she had a grip on him and wouldn't let go."

Rocky, I understand how you feel about reporting them. If I was in your situation, as much as it would pain me to know that's going on next door, I'd also wait until I moved out... I have a strong feeling that an anonymous report would still come back at you, regardless. Folks like that don't need to know who it was... they'll count their own suspects and take revenge on all of them if need be. If they even suspect it was you, I'd also worry what they'd do to your family, including Rocky. frown

It's really a very sad situation... but it's perfectly reasonable to be concerned for your family's safety. They've gotta come first.

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '13 9:39am PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 10:01am PST 
That's not likely to be viewed as a beating though - that's splitting a fight up and if reported OP would need to talk about that scene and it would not, in the eyes of the law, likely constitute an abuse. Laws remain very under evolved in terms of what constitutes animal abuse. A really good site to visit is animallaw.com, which does allow searches by state for laws, for those who are curious to research what stands in their state.

Subsequently beating a dog after a fight would be a better example of abuse, but she was not there to see it. Beating on dog in a fight to split it up def would not be enough, and that's the only thing witnessed, unfortunately. In my experience, they may get talked to about managing their dogs better, but that's about it.

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '13 10:02am PST

[notify]
Rocky

SQUIRREL!!

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 2:51pm PST 
True, the only beatings I saw were during the fights. Once when they were separating the dogs the other day and the day they were helping get the dogs of Rocky (they beat the female with a log). I may still call the animal control after we move of course just in case they can do something and I'll probably call the city's anonymous drug activity hotline. We found a house that we like so hopefully things work out and we'll be out of here in a couple months.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 3:44pm PST 
Best bet is child welfare. That's guaranteed investigation and response. Even when they feel it is likely only a grudge, etc., they always still will send someone to look into the situation, so that would be my best advice. Additionally, those who rough handle dogs are bigger suspects for doing the same to children, so that's another reason where you may get a ball rolling. Having that info would be of interest.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2