GO!

is there anything I should do about this?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rocky

SQUIRREL!!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 2:20pm PST 
I feel really horrible about this situation next door but don't know if there's anything I can do about it. My neighbors have 2 pitbulls. Keep in mind, I have nothing against pitbulls. I actually love them but with the right owners. Well, about 3 weeks ago, they attacked Rocky and caused $800 in vet bills. I didn't report them or anything because Rocky managed to get in to their yard. It was negligence on our side. We fixed our fence, Rocky healed well, and that can't happen again. But, today, I was making dinner and looked outside and both their dogs were locked together. They were both bleeding all over the place and the owners were both beating the female to get her to let go of the male as she had a grip on him and wouldn't let go. Neither of these dogs are people aggressive (at least i know for a fact that the male isn't) but the female is extremely dog aggressive. After Rocky's injuries, the neighbor told me their dogs routinely "get into it". She told me she "beat the **** or of her dogs" after the Rocky thing. These people are the wrong types of owners. Is there anything that can be done? It kills me to see these dogs in this situation. What's worse is they have a little girl in second grade who was standing there watching all of this.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 2:58pm PST 
Call your local SPCA or Bylaw and REPORT them! They're very clearly abusing these dogs, and obviously very negligent if their own dogs are 'routinely getting into it' to bloody spats with one another. Please help these dogs by reporting their owners. If there's times where you can get photos or video too without the owners seeing, that could help. I'd especially call WHEN it's happening. Have their address, names(if possible), and the types of dogs on hand when calling it in.
[notify]
Rocky

SQUIRREL!!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 3:36pm PST 
There is one complication. They know that I know about their dogs obviously but we don't exactly live in a good area of town. I actually fear reporting them that there may be reprocusions (sp?). We're supposed to be moving within the next couple months. Afterwards, I'll gladly report them without fear. I just feel horrible frown
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 5:02pm PST 
Anonymously go to animal control, an abuse hotline or your local police and tell them what's going on. Nobody has the right to beat their dogs and your neighbors don't have to know you reported them...poor dogs, grrrr send me over there
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 9:55pm PST 
I reported the owners of some very neglected horses that were neighbors to my mothers farm, and their owners knew my family was there every day.

Legally, your information WILL NOT AND CANNOT be given if they ask who did it. You can deny it and even make it believable if you're worried. "Omg, who would do that. You love your dogs!" etc. And you CAN report it anonymously too.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 10:08pm PST 
I'd try to report it anonymously to your local SPCA or AC.

While your information may *legally* be required to be kept confidential, depending on who is running the SPCA or AC, I wouldn't bet on it staying that way. People talk. Especially in small towns, hence why I would go the anonymous route.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 10:39pm PST 
Even if their female dog is aggressive, they shouldn't have been beating her, and in front of a kid! You should definitely report it to the authorities. I understand you're afraid that they might get mad about you reporting what they are doing, but go the anonymous route as everyone here suggests. Besides, you're going to be moving soon. Good luck!
[notify]
Rocky

SQUIRREL!!

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 3:38am PST 
There is one complication. They know that I know about their dogs obviously but we don't exactly live in a good area of town. I actually fear reporting them that there may be reprocusions (sp?). We're supposed to be moving within the next couple months. Afterwards, I'll gladly report them without fear. I just feel horrible frown
[notify]
Rocky

SQUIRREL!!

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 5:42am PST 
Sorry about that, my phone tends to repost things for me. It's annoying. I have every intention of reporting these people but for my own family's safely, it may have to wait till we move. My neighbor saw me looking out the Window. Made eye contact right after they seperated the dogs. There's always a stream of people going in and out of that place. My husband and I have discussed the possibility that they may be drug dealers. Bad situation all around. As much as I hate having to put it off, I can't put my family, my children in danger. The sooner we move, the better.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 3:58pm PST 
Try not to feel too guilty about it, maybe after you move and you're at a safe distance then you can report it. We've lived in neighborhoods like that too...right now it's about keeping your family safe...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2