GO!

Maybe we aren't the right home for her :-(

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 85)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:35pm PST 
Josie,

I've had my dog for seven months now, and I'm just starting to really bond with her! In the first few weeks, I wanted to give her back constantly. In these last few weeks, she seems happier than ever.

While my dog doesn't have SA, she does have a problem with trying to play with my cats very much like what you described with your dog. I really think in my case anyway, it's play drive, not prey drive. I don't think you should let your pup loose with your kitties when you're gone.

One reason I'm doing doggie daycare is to try to get my dog to leave the cats alone more, but it hasn't solved the problem. She seems determined to make playmates out of them. Like you, I'm wondering if my dog wouldn't be happier in a situation with other dogs. She likes us, but she worships other dogs! I go back and forth about whether I want to get another dog, but need to finish Stella's training first either way.

By the way, I've seen my dog bite at the door of her crate. I don't think that's a sign of SA. It's a sign of a dog that wants out of her crate to hang with her people, or run around.

I hope your dog adjusts and stops pacing, and doesn't chase your cats. What does your vet think about all of this? Have you considered hiring a dog walker to interact with your dog on days she doesn't go to doggie daycare and you're not home?
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 4:07pm PST 
Sabi - did you do training for your Dane's SA or did it get better with time?
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 4:13pm PST 
Stella - is your dog in the crate when you're away?
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 7:21pm PST 
Josie I worked really hard on her SA. She did require meds to stop her injuring herself, but aside from that it was all conditioning and training.
After she totalled the first crate, I got another one and we did short exercises each day. I got in the crate with her and we cuddled and had treats, when she would fall asleep with me in the crate I started having her go in alone while I sat in front with the door open. Then I moved to door closed, me beside the crate, me at the doorway and finally me out of sight. At each step I would wait until she was dozing off before we progressed. Then we did 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc. with me out of sight.
I also way upped her exercise, went hardcore on the obedience, and started ignoring her when I wasn't working with her. It was really hard on both of us but the end result was a happier more balanced dog and I got to stop fixing things. When I knew she was calm and relaxed in the crate I started leaving her loose in a room, again starting with minutes at a time. It took months but she got better, got to the point were she had complete run of the house all the time.
Keep in mind though that she was deaf, had poor vision and was a severe case. I inched through her training because I was terrified of a setback. She destroyed her first crate completely and in doing so she tore her gums and lips apart, gashed her face and her leg and ripped two nails out so I was afraid if it happened again she would kill herself.
[notify]
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 10:42pm PST 
Josie, yes, I leave her in the crate when I'm gone because I don't trust her with the cats. I'm not gone that much though. I work from home and pretty much only leave to go shopping.
[notify]
  (Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 85)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9