GO!

Maybe we aren't the right home for her :-(

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 8 of 9: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Josie

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 12:19pm PST 
I know Isabelle, I thought they would be thrilled that I wanted to foster. A crate open for another pound pull! But nope. I guess I can see her thinking though, if the SA is getting worse, to let her play every day with dogs until she finds a home.

Today I tried covering the sides of the crate, leaving the front open, and it seemed worse. Not sure if this is just a coincidence though. But there was more yelping and scratching at the side and door. Was excitable when I let her out (but not as much as she was the first 3 times we crated her and left. She was able to sleep though, once for a half hour.
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 12:18pm PST 
Tried "Through a Dog's Ear" last night and saw no difference.

Tried a new test today, out of the crate. I think I was in the garage watching on live cam for about 45 minutes. She spent 90% of the time looking out the window, but granted there was a lot going on out there with my neighbors talking, moving things, etc. The other 10% of the time was pacing, sniffing things and going to the back sliding glass doors before going back to the front window.

After the 45 minutes or hour or whatever it was, the pacing and whining picked up so I got nervous and went back in. I never heard her bark and she barely panted until the end.

I guess I'll try this again when it's dark and there isn't stuff going on outside. I'm guessing she would be much more restless.

We do have one room in the basement we could confine her too I guess. I wonder how that would go. She has never been in the basement yet so I'm guessing I'd have to do a slow interaction to that. But then she would learn that she is only in that room in the basement when we leave.
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 4:24pm PST 
Well argh, had to leave for an hour today and she did worse in the crate. At one point she was even biting on the metal door, which I've never seen her do before. This sucks so hard.
[notify]

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 4:41pm PST 
Like i said, most SA dogs do worse when confined. Is she destructive at all? Maybe you could try the basement idea or confine her to another room and see how she does with more space?
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 5:03pm PST 
i think i might have an idea for you to try
if josie responds positively to your voice, maybe make a 2 - 3 minute recording of you humming and coo'ing to her and then leave it playing on repeat on your computer when you leave

but idk if this would make things worse in the long run... like she NEEEEEEDS your voice or something
could try to set it up to play in intervals (every 20 minutes) so she never gets over threshold ?
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 5:42pm PST 
Tyler she is not destructive of the blanket in her crate. I'm not sure if she would be destructive in our house because I'm too scared to test it.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 12:01am PST 
Sorry the music didn't work for you.

My experience has been that if the dog has been conditioned to like the crate, and doesn't mind being in it as long as people are around, being loose in the house isn't going to make much difference. I have found that doing short, frequent absences- like going out to check the mail, walking out to the car to grab something, or running to the corner store, really do help. An exception to that might be if you use her being loose in the house as a short departure cue, slowly building up the time that she's loose while putting her in the crate for longer absences. Smokey has learned that my laundry bag is a short departure cue, and doesn't cry or try to follow me if he sees me holding it. So, this would be the same idea. I can't promise you that she won't be destructive, but not ripping up her blankets is a good sign.

Do you notice any effect if she's tired? If she's had hours of exercise, does she sleep more when you're gone?
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:19am PST 
That is a test I need to do if I can, seeing if she sleeps more after exercise. I would guess she would.

Today will be another 4 hour test and I'm nervous because yesterday while I was at work, my boyfriend said she was pacing around whining. She has done that from time to time but not bad. So when I got home I took her to doggy daycare to play and after a while she was doing the same thing there. Plenty of dogs and toys to play with, plenty of room to run, yet she was still pacing around and whining, asking me to let her out the door, then wanting to come back in. Generalized anxiety I guess cry
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:29am PST 
More liberty is either better or worse. Sometimes, crates can make a dog feel vulnerable. I mean, they say it is "den like," but dogs don't get LOCKED in dens, and that can set a discomfort button. Other dogs just have more space and things to unload their stress on left in the open.

My GSD puppy Pogo, who grew up to be a total legend of a dog, had massive SA, Josie. He's the one who scratched his cornea trying to get out of his crate. I was called home twice by neighbors....not because of barking complaints, but with his shrieks of terror they literally thought he was dying. So we gated him in the kitchen. First one, then two, then three....each stacked upon the other until it literally was a wall of gates. So finally he was confined, and he got into everything! One of the hardest laughs my husband ever gave me? One day we came home and he had torn open and eaten a box of flour. Next day, he had pried the fridge open and eaten a dozen eggs. And my husband said, "good word, he's trying to make a cake!" laugh out loud big laugh He drank a jug of oil and that night we awoke to lubricated poos literally shooting out of his butt shock Wall-to-wall carpet was ruined because it was so oiled up. Yikes! He actually ended up fine, though. Got over it. That was a legendary term, though.

Off the sequence you described? I think we need to listen to dogs...they do talk with their behavior, you know? And if her stress picked up loose, I'd go back to the crate. If she was biting on the door, which was something I was looking for and didn't see, it seems to me the outside try pushed her back a step and now that she's experienced out of her crate was more agitated not to have it. Too much, too soon.

I'd go back to where you were. She didn't escalate at all last week.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 5:44pm PST 
Josiehughug I feel your pain, truly.

My Dane had SA and it sucked! I came home every day to a completely trashed house. I tried crating and came home to a trashed house that looked like something had been butchered in it, a destroyed crate and an injured dog. Like Tillers Pogo some of the things she did were so totally bizarre it was almost laughable. The boys at the second hand store got to know me as I was in all the time for new couches. My dumb a$$ boyfriend TAUGHT her to open the fridge. That was fun!
But we DID get through it. It took time and perserverance(and meds) but it happened.
She was a severe case, completely over the top. And in her case the crate made it much worse.
If she was doing well and now she isn't then go back to where she was. I truly hope this works out for you.
[notify]
  (Page 8 of 9: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9