GO!

My dog doesn't like me :(

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:51am PST 
can he still be trained I mean he is 7 years now
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:54am PST 
Yes, he can. Dogs can learn at any age. And he should love working with you.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:55am PST 
can he still be trained I mean he is 7 years now
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:05am PST 
yes.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:33am PST 
Locked in a kennel all day is no life for a dog. Do his caretakers walk him everyday? How long are the walks? Does he ever get a chance to run? If his exercise needs aren't being met, maybe you could look for a doggy daycare or hire a dog walker that can handle a large, rambunctious dog?

Totally agree with Savvy that an obedience class is a great idea, both for the obedience and for the bonding. Old dogs can learn new tricks, and German Shepherds are highly trainable dogs. Maybe if he was better trained and got more exercise, he'd be well behaved enough that he wouldn't have to be locked up all day?

Edited by author Thu Jan 31, '13 8:42am PST

[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:52am PST 
OK. I will try to be polite, but I am seething over this. Firstly, the breed is German Shepherd Dog. Second, why are you surprised that the dog does not want to recognize you as any type of leader. He is locked up outside, not trained, walked. played with. This is a breed who LIVES to work & be with his people. Dogs are not machines that you pull out on weekends and then put away again. A dog NEEDS daily contact, training, exercise, & love.
Yes you could turn this around, but really, I would look at re-homing this poor boy. He needs to spend his senior years with someone who can have the patience to work with him and bring him along.
That may not be the popular view, but you don't seem to be able to give him the attention he deserves. Life happens, I know, but dogs are a huge committment & you owe it to him to give him the best life possible. Right now, in your situation, it is NO life for a dog.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:52am PST 
gone, I guess.

wave
Onyx!
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 9:00am PST 
Just spend a few minutes a day playing with him and teaching or reinforcing his tricks and giving him treats when he does what you want. I had a cat once that I literally had to bride into liking me by feeding him treats while I petted him. Fake it till ya make it smile
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 9:16am PST 
i did mention that i stay away but do everything possible when im home and i dont want to give him away its easier said than done i know its no justice to him but i love him with all my heart and im working towards making him happier so if u just understand it would be nice
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 9:25am PST 
Has your situation changed so that you can spend the time with him? Are you now working with him daily? Or are you still only home on weekends?
I do understand that life is tough, but I'm thinking of the dog, not you. If you don't have what it takes to give him a happy, fulfilled life, then he needs to be with someone who can.shrug
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5