GO!

Peeing in crate - newly adopted

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Ezra

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 2:10pm PST 
The two times she has been alone in the crate, how long have those been? I'd do a test and see if she pees within the first 15-30 minutes of being left alone. If she's in the crate for several hours it's possible she just can't hold it that long.
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:14pm PST 
It wasn't a matter of holding it. She gets anxious in there. All three times were 3 or less hours long.

I'm doing some reading and one author claims there is a difference between separation anxiety and isolation distress. If that's true, she has the isolation distress.

Some people have recommended keeping her in the basement or another room while we are gone. I hate thinking that my poor dog is having a panic attack every time I leave the house. Really don't know what to do.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 11:04pm PST 
You mentioned earlier that you set up a webcam, went out of the room and saw your dog whining and whatever, that's also a sign of distress. I'm just wondering why people are suggesting to keep her in the basement when you're gone. That's basically frightening to the dog.

How about trying to make your departures and returns completely calm and emotionless? No huggy/kissy "Mummy loves you" scenes. If she gets excited and jumps all over you when you return, ignore her. Turn your back and walk away. When she finally settles down, say hello and greet her very calmly. Or if that doesn't work, you could always try and seek out a behaviorist.
[notify]

Josie

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:22am PST 
Yep I've been doing that since day one (see the thread on maybe we aren't the right home for her). We cannot afford a behaviorist.

Edited by moderator Thu Feb 14, '13 2:18pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:37pm PST 
Oh, okay, so the behaviorist option is out. Maybe you can try using a "safe" cue such as "I’ll be back," only when you know you’ll return within the time period your dog can tolerate.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2