GO!

AKC Obedience Trials

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Faith Free- CGC

I Wuff You!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 2:54pm PST 
Hey Everyone.
I want to enter Faith in an AKC Obedience Trial but I do not know what level to sign her up for. She has never competed in AKC before but I want to start. I also want to enter Suka as well and she has not been shown either. Can anyone help me? Help me understand how it all works? Im so confused but I want to get into showing and trails.

Thank you!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 3:25pm PST 
You would have to start in the lowest class, Pre-Novice A (A new class for basic beginners, all on leash), OR Novice A. The absolute best thing you need to do is go to the AKC.org web page and find the obedience rules and regulations and READ! Start with the general requirements to enter and show, then read about the two classes, Pre-Novice and Novice.
Then, come back and ask specific questions you may have.
Entries must be submitted prior to the show, usually about two weeks earlier... again, the listing of upcoming shows is also on that AKC webpage and it will list the closing date as well.
It is important to read the rules well as there are many little things not allowed which can cause you to flunk.
Ideally, the best thing would be to find a class for CD prep or at the least offered by someone who exhibits in AKC obedience for a run through, or an AKC match show that is nearby.
I did my first obedience show in 1976, after several match shows. I will never forget it because I left my hand touching the dog when I told her to stay for the stand for exam, an automatic fail! Somehow, somewhere, no one had ever told me you couldn't AND I missed that part in the rules book. I never, ever did that again!!!
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:01pm PST 
I intrude this topic and ask one question.

I've watched some AKC obedience trial videos on Youtube and in many, if not in all, the handler keeps her/his left hand (where the leash is) on their belly when they are making their dog to heel. Is that required by the rules? Is that considered as a command and/or do they say 'heel' when they start the move? (Most of the videos I've seen have so much background noise so that you cannot hear if the handler gives any voice commands.)
[notify]

Faith Free- CGC

I Wuff You!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:23pm PST 
Well Faith is in Novice Obedience in 4-H, so would you recommend entering her in Novice A? I have read the rules since they are the same at 4-H Rules. And Suka just finished Basic Obedience and has her CGC Test Feb. 5th so I think it might be best to sign her up for Beginner Novice A? Is there a big difference between Class A and B? Thats what I am confused about. They seem to be the same class.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:37pm PST 
Alva, your hand must be in a "natural" position, either at your side or across your waist area. You are allowed to either say the Dog's name and the word, "heel" OR give the hand signal for heel every time you start from a stopped position.
Faith, Novice A is for those who have not titled in the class yet, Novice B is for those who have put a CD on a dog before OR who do not own the dog they are handling. I got my first CD title from Novice B because I did not own the dog I was showing BUT at the same shows I was also showing my own dog in Novice A. They are judged just the same, however judges may be a bit more "forgiving" when judging Novice A.
I have judged both 4-H and AKC and in 4-H they were allowed to give extra commands, keep their hand on the dog for the stand for exam, etc., which would be a flunk in AKC. I would definitely re-read the AKC rule book!! You can literally flunk in AKC by doing some seemingly minor things which many people don't even realize they do... another example, moving your arms or bobbing your head when you do the recall.
The AKC page will also list the superintendent for each show...you need to contact them for a premium list and entry form, well in advance of the two week deadline for entering, OR you can enter on the superintendents website. infodog.com also will list entry fees, etc., and is pretty easy to search at least for the MossBow shows, they will give basic information for those superintended by others.
[notify]
Faith Free- CGC

I Wuff You!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:54pm PST 
I've gotten points off for having my hand on my dog during the stand stay, giving extra commands and even moving a bit when i did my recalls. Although they are a little more forgiving in 4-H, the same general idea. I will still reread the rules. And thank you for your help. I will sign Faith up for Novice A and Suka up for Beginner Novice A. And I will start getting entry stuff together right away since the show is Feb 23/24.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 8:24pm PST 
Good luck!!!! cheercheer
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 6:57pm PST 
Just wondering how the girls did at their shows?
[notify]
Faith Free- CGC

I Wuff You!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:01pm PST 
I actually was not able to go to the show because Suka, broke her toe and is unable to walk so the vet advised no obedience. And Faith has a skin condition that makes her look like she is moth eaten and is itchy and dry skin so she was unable to show as well.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 2:45pm PST 
Ahh, too bad!!! There will be MORE!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2